WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
WIP: Started January 25th--->

I wanted to share a new piece I started yesterday. This one is approximately 17 x 10 inches. This one will take a while so while there may be many updates the progress will be slow. This WIP will hopefully show more of the process than the other WIP I posted which already had the main features rendered by the time I scanned it and started the thread.

Subject: My wife again, sleeping...man she's lazy! LOL! I stay up all night drawing and she finds time to sleep! Anyway, she's laying on silk sheets/pillow and the goal of this piece is to bring out the smooth textures as well as a mood of tranquility...fingers crossed!
As you can tell my sight-lines are rendered lightly and are sketchy at best, these are JUST preliminary marks to get my bearings these will be changed slightly to make sure the anatomy is as correct as my eye can get it. Besides basic proportions and positioning I do really just hold my breath and go for it. Thanks for looking...

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 01-25-2004 at 12:06 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Oh this is wonderful Paul! I get to see this one from the start! I love the detail in her hand already. I can't wait to see how you render the silk. I need to know everything I can about drawing different types of material.

"Interfere not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup!"
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Wink Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Thanks for the kind response Shesun4givn2! You are obviously a big fan of textures just like me. Half the fun is trying to figure out how to render them in a believable way. Using different hardnesses/softnesses of pencils can achieve many different textures. But I rely mainly on the tooth of the paper. I will try to draw as tightly and smoothly as possible on the silk and I let the tooth of the paper show through more on the skin. Although with this piece I will try to create a super-smooth image overall. I want her to appear as though she's floating on a cloud of silk- just very peaceful almost ethereal... Okay, now I'm getting cheesy! More later.......

Paul
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

By the way-- This was started on the 24th, my days are starting to bleed into one another... I need SLEEP!!

Paul
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Here's an update-
I started working the face a little bit. I am basically trying to lay down preliminary values and then I'll go over everything again to tighten and detail where necessary.

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by ArtMusicFilm : 01-27-2004 at 01:43 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 02:39 PM
South West Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Paul, This will be absolutely stunning when finished..........I can't wait . What does your wife think of it so far and what paper and pencils are you using?

Jane
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

I have a question about your technique--you rendered that wonderful hand and your lovely wife's face and I see how you are laying the values but it struck me odd that where you haven't finished on her face is almost a perfect square--nothing wrong with it, of course--your technique looks--very organized. I was wondering if you would comment on how you decide WHERE to start and then how you progress through to the rest of the image. One other question--is she dreaming?--it seems to me that she is peeping though the eyelids--nice touch.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Jane- First of all, thanks for the kind response. I use an inexpensive ZEBRA brand 0.5mm mechanical pencil with HB or 2B leads. I want to buy a 0.3mm pencil soon and see how I like it... It will probably just turn a long process into a REALLY long process! LOL! As far as paper, I am still looking for something with better tooth. This is drawn on Strathmore drawing paper, medium tooth from a pad. My wife loves being my muse, it flatters her. Fortunately, I married a very photogenic woman! LOL!

JayD- Thank you as well for your comments. I usually start drawing in a place that interests me the most, or I try to start laying value down in the more challenging places. I seldom draw hands, not intentionally, but I usually focus my drawings around faces, therefor I wanted to get the initial tones of the hand drawn first. As far as the squared looking areas. I usually try to "block" off areas just to make the process easier. It allows me to have a "goal area" that I can finish at one sitting. Plus I like my drawings to appear tidy even during the drawing process. I know, I'm a freak. As far as my wife's eyes appearing slightly open, they probably were. I took several photos of her acting like she was asleep and while trying to get a steady shot she sometimes gets restless. Unfortunately, my reference photo is about 2x3 inches cut down from a 4x6 photo, so I'm winging it this time!

Thanks again!
Paul
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

A quick update--
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Arkansas

Hails from United States

This is looking awesome Paul! It's wonderful being able to watch this develop. Thanks for the wip.

"Interfere not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup!"
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 05:50 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Yeah, I think the eyes are partially open--now THAT'S detail. Oh Gee! This reminds me--I need a nap.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks Pam and JayD, I appreciate it!

Here is some more progress... I started drawing the fabric, it'll be several more layers before it has the "silk" effect... I'm working on it. I also finished shaping the jaw line and cheek as what is in the other scans is still the basic "sight line" from the initial sketch. I'm also going to add more skin tones/shadows later to both the face and the hand/arm, I usually do that last.

Paul
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Ooooooooh man Paul! I can already see the soft silkiness in the sheets and pillow. Jiminee ur good!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

This is beautiful and I love the dramatic effect of the light. It will be really lovely when you finish the satin sheets.

The only thing I would have liked to see would have been some of the shoulder and arm so that the eye could follow the arm to the hand and back to the face. It appears as if the hand is just hanging there all by itself.

Atrsy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Talking Re: WIP: Started January 25th--->

Thanks for the thoughtful replies Pam and Atrsy!

As far as the composition I am unfortunately now limited to the boundaries of the paper as I've already cut it down to the size of the image leaving only a quarter inch border for matting. I am hopeful that finishing the fabric in between will help "pull" the piece together.

Paul