WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2001, 11:18 PM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States
Smile I hope this qualifies....

....as a pen and ink drawing. Nothing fancy, used photo from a magazine for a reference and a Sanford Gel Pen. This is not really my medium, but you guys' enthusiasm [sp?] made me want to give it a try. Turned out to be a fun exercise.

digistyle

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2001, 11:48 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Nice drawing - the hair in particular is lovely!

I would say this definitely qualifies

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
E W Wilcox
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 08:08 AM
WY - USA

Hails from United States
Nice touch digistyle..........I knew you could do this kind of work if we could just get you away from that puter for a few minutes LOL. I'm not surprised, all your work is good.

Nice control of your line, the pen must have a good feel.

Thanks for shareing

BUD
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 08:18 AM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
You did a great job inking this. Glad you decided to give the ink medium a try Think you might do more?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 05:56 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Welcome the to pen and inkers digistyle. I enjoyed seeing your drawing and think you have made an impressive start
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States
Thanks for the welcome!

NorahT: Thanks. Drawing the hair was the most enjoyable part for me. I liked working out the shadows and lights to render the curls and waves.

Wyobud: Thanks. Every now and then the old "magic box" relinquishes its' grip on my drawing hand

artdude: Congrats on heading up the effort to start this forum. Yeah, I think I'll do some more. I stopped by the library on the way home and picked up a book on pen & ink drawing techniques. I'll post something else after I've had more practice.

RuthT: Thanks. Glad you liked it!

...And finally, the first of many questions. Do you guys start with a pencil sketch or do you go directly to ink? I used ink on this one from start to finish but I think it would have been better served if I had done a sketch first. Also, what tools do you recommend for a beginner to start with?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

digistyle
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 11:58 PM
WY - USA

Hails from United States
digistyle..........Most of the time I sketch in very light pencil first. It seems I lose my composition if I don"t. I usually use several different tips for each piece and I prefer dip pens. I get a kick out of using ink with a brush and I don't pre-sketch on those. I really like the expresion of line that oriental art gives.

BUD
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2001, 08:19 AM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally posted by digistyle
Do you guys start with a pencil sketch or do you go directly to ink? I used ink on this one from start to finish but I think it would have been better served if I had done a sketch first. Also, what tools do you recommend for a beginner to start with?

If I'm just sketching I don't use pencil. For planning out a final composition I will lightly draw it out in pencil first and even shade lightly where my darks are going to be. After the drawing is finished I just erase any pencil that is showing. Dip pens are great but can get a little messy. Non-refillable ink pens would be a good place to start and you can get them in sets with different nib sizes. A heavy smooth paper will give you some nice crisp lines but you can experiment with all types.
Looking forward to seeing more ink work from you

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2001, 02:06 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines
this is great digistyle, what's the rush over using your computer? infinite color, control, and a sense of permanency? okay now I want photoshop and illustrator.... just kidding, i know it's apples & oranges, thanks for sharing your pre-electronic style with us, and i be now you're gonna scan it, and go to town... have fun, bobby
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2001, 12:49 PM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States
Thanks for suggestions, folks. I'm planning to make a run to the art supply store this weekend. Hope to have something worth posting in a week or so.

digistyle