WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Kieko

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kieko
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 72x27 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The original is 19x25 inch pastel drawing on standard Pastel Paper. This drawing is a combination of the original with a mirror image of itself. I recently created some posters at 72x27 inches that were purchased by friends I work with.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am curious about the idea of digitally altering an original abstract by combining it with itself or with another image. I think, depending on one's taste, that the result is somewhat interesting.

The only thing I really find useful is the saying: "This Too Shall Pass"
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 01:44 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
awesome blending!!
I think the duplication works well...there is more area in the middle for the eye to rest..
I wonder what a diagonal mirror image would produce?
it is a VERY busy image which can be a bit unsettling..but it would depend how it was presented...that would be my only critique..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 03:30 AM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
sidhartha, color notwithstanding, your piece reminds me of my all-time favorite piece of art , Picasso's Guernica.
I am interested, you say it ultimately became a poster...commissioned for a specific purpose?
The duplication certainly is a fantastic maze, trippy indeed. But unless I needed to use it as a tapestry (to wrap around a volkswagen bus or something) I probably wouldn't...It's a work that is an awful lot to digest in the original let alone with a twin. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this I am just not sure I would have any reason to do this mirror thing...the original stands so well on its own.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by gnu
awesome blending!!
I think the duplication works well...there is more area in the middle for the eye to rest..
I wonder what a diagonal mirror image would produce?
it is a VERY busy image which can be a bit unsettling..but it would depend how it was presented...that would be my only critique..

Thanks .. and I agree with you regarding the busy nature of the image. I have one friend at work that HATES this drawing to the Nth degree. On the other hand, I have other friends that love the drawing to the Nth degree. To me, it is just another drawing along the road of studying and creating Pastel Paintings. But there seems to be a division among many people, especially those involved in Art-Enjoyment or Viewing. Some like simple abstracts, with little movement or activity while others seem to like Abstracts full of activity, geometry and chaos. I am starting to consider searching for a some place in the middle in which both ends of the spectrum will feel at ease.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by celestia
sidhartha, color notwithstanding, your piece reminds me of my all-time favorite piece of art , Picasso's Guernica.
I am interested, you say it ultimately became a poster...commissioned for a specific purpose?
The duplication certainly is a fantastic maze, trippy indeed. But unless I needed to use it as a tapestry (to wrap around a volkswagen bus or something) I probably wouldn't...It's a work that is an awful lot to digest in the original let alone with a twin. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this I am just not sure I would have any reason to do this mirror thing...the original stands so well on its own.

I looked up the image you referred to by Picasso. Thanks! I feel honored by such a comment. I am familiar with that image. I have probably observed it many times during my life while looking thru books that display the works of great artists.
----
As per your observation regarding the blending together of the mirror image .... hmmm .... I am starting to wonder if there is a viable application for what is becoming known as "digital wall paper". A friend at work purchased the poster representation. The people I work with are High-End and High-Talented computer analyst from India. They tend to like things that are a combination of organic/technical/geometric and busy in nature.
------
I agree with you regarding the fact that the original stands well enough alone. But the advent of computer graphics opens a door of unlimited possibilities. The trick, in my opinion, is to use the computer to create something that is contains aspects of the original work but enhanced in a subtle manner. I personally do not get anything from purely digital art.

Last edited by sidhartha11 : 01-01-2004 at 02:43 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: Kieko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha11
MY IMAGE(S):

This is just a general question. Why does this silly critique forum make it so difficult to critique for someone that has never critiqued ? Reminds me of a tight-butt collection of political groups that try to keep everyone out except for those they approve of ..
OR ...
A collection of groups from various cities in China that view one another with a evil eye ...
OR ...
The typical Internet Forum Host that views the members with a BIG SUBJECTIVE EYE and kicks everyone out that he/she (S)Objects too ..
ahem ..
Juat a little humor added her ... Not meaning to ruffle any subjective feathers ..
BUT .. how do you critique in this forum ?

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Kieko
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 72x27 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The original is 19x25 inch pastel drawing on standard Pastel Paper. This drawing is a combination of the original with a mirror image of itself. I recently created some posters at 72x27 inches that were purchased by friends I work with.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am curious about the idea of digitally altering an original abstract by combining it with itself or with another image. I think, depending on one's taste, that the result is somewhat interesting.