WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
New Drawing

This is a Portrait of my estranged Father, The photo was taken the last time I saw him.
Its called " I still miss you"
91/2" x 11" CP on Illustration Board
I think its done, but I'm still picking at it
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
This is exquisite.... The choice of colors, glasses, smile, eyes, wrinkles are all amazing.... It works as a whole; everything is evenly beautiful!!!!!

The story behind it and the title are especially poignant.

Edit: You have a real eye for detail. I'm still here obsessing over the mignified wrinkles in the glasses, the darkened color and the way his bottom lip looks "just so"... The delicacy of the color there in the lower lip is really nice.

Aisling Art & Design

Last edited by Aisling : 12-26-2003 at 06:34 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 06:59 PM
rural Illinois

Hails from United States
Amazing. You have created a most beautiful piece here and the emotion really shines through. The work you've done on the glasses is terrific. I also love the smile, the way it changes the texture of his skin/lips. Perfect.

Joyce B.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast
Boyup Brook, Western Australia

Hails from Australia
This is stunning! The way you have rendered the glasses and wrinkles is incredible, this is definitely a piece to be proud of.

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Good job I love those details! My kindof art! Even the texture on the shirt looks fabulous.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 10:46 PM
British Columbia

Hails from Canada
This is really wonderful! Love it!

Anna Dee
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 11:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada
The detail here is amazing....love the subtle skin tones....
Alan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Richmond, Virginia

Hails from United States
It is outstanding.

I especially noted the highlights in the glasses and the skin texture. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to know some of the technical details, ie., what kind of paper, what brand and kind of pencils, your thought process as you approached the work.

Now that it's finished or nearly so, will you send it to him? Might this be a step toward reconciliation?

We have a dear friend who's disabled and was estranged from her mother and family for more than six years over how she handled the death of her son. Our friend's mother died last night. She didn't know her mother was even sick. When the family called we immediately took her to the hospital, but her mother was already in a coma and died about an hour later. They never had the chance to talk. She talked to her mother, but she was unresponsive.

My brother and I hadn't spoken for more than two years when he died. No estrangement, but still difficult.

I always urge reconciliation or at least the attempt. I've seen a lot of grief in my life and helped many, many more through theirs. It's easier to make the attempt, even if it's rebuffed, than to make it later.

It's just a thought. It isn't any of my business, but I thought I'd toss it out for what it's worth. No offense intended. I have a bad habit of giving advice when it isn't wanted or needed, but with his smile and your obvious depth of feeling and sensitivity, I thought I'd ask.

Jim
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
really great job. you captured the character of him with the shading, and his expression.

what bothers me is the look of it being a photograph...why do i say that? because when we look at a person in sunlight or in a room, we don't see the white spots of light on the glasses, nor the white light down the center of the face.

I filled them in to show what I mean.
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 02:21 AM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
Great portrait. I personally agree with Arlene. Looks more like a portrait and less like a picture.
Meisie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Thanks everyone!

Jim- I used Prismacolors on Strathmore 100% Rag Illustration Board, Regular Finish
When I started this my intent was to capture my Fathers emotional condition at the time, which was disturbed and angry and not quite in touch with reality, I was not going to even acknowledge that this was of my Father. After I finished his face I realized I had drawn in what I love about my Father and what I really drew was a tribute to my Father not an indictment.
reconciliation? I don't know where he is, or if he is even alive, but I named it what I did in case somehow, someway this Image crosses his path.

Arlene- Thank you for once again taking the time and I appreciate what your saying.
I intentionally left those highlights in this drawing, I even exaggerated them a bit. My intention on this drawing was not so much a classical portrait, but an illustration of of emotion in a facial expression. I wanted the look of a snapshot, a snapshot in time and space. I think my Father was frozen in my mind in that photo and I had to alter the snapshot to change the emotional image in my mind.
I hope this makes sense
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Michigan, USA

Hails from United States
Larsnip,

This is so charged with emotion and normally I would agree with Arlene on the reflection areas as they distract the eye from the main subject which is the portrait however, in this case it is in your minds eye how you view your father therefore it is best as you've have it - reflections and all.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 11:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by larsnip
Arlene- Thank you for once again taking the time and I appreciate what your saying.
I intentionally left those highlights in this drawing, I even exaggerated them a bit. My intention on this drawing was not so much a classical portrait, but an illustration of of emotion in a facial expression. I wanted the look of a snapshot, a snapshot in time and space. I think my Father was frozen in my mind in that photo and I had to alter the snapshot to change the emotional image in my mind.
I hope this makes sense
\

yes but if that was your intention, then the white dots especially take away from the emotion in the face...they're so strong that they are the first thing my eye goes to...if you want the emotion, it should be the eyes.

close your eyes for 20 seconds, then open them and what's the first thing in the picture you see? it's those white spots on the glasses.

i understand the idea of trying to capture a photo of a moment in time, but wouldn't it have been more successful to maybe then make the border into a photo too? white edges and all...or time stamp

Last edited by arlene : 12-27-2003 at 11:22 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 12:34 PM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
I have to agree. I find the white spots highly distracting. They prevent my eye from ranging over a portrait that is excellent in all other aspects. They make the portrait about the spots and not about the man.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 01:30 PM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States
I agree with arlene on the spots they just aren't necessary to the picture. I love the skin tones and the teeth. Teeth are so hard to make right. You know it's very sad all the things he has missed out on and the regrets show all over his face. It's always unexplainable why someone would voluntarily drop out of life. I hope doing this was cathartic for you. Very very nice work!!! wanda