WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2001, 10:43 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Painting & Photography...Spiritual Retreat -Pecos, NM

Plans are underway for a spiritual retreat and arts week in Pecos, New Mexico toward mid to latter part of next year August, 2002.

Based on experiences of my co-artist and co-collaborator, Paul Kiler...attendees are predominantly Catholic, some protestant...some evangelicals, and of course all are welcome. Plans will be to enjoy a celebration of faith, times of evening sharing, singing, encouragement.

Our day time activities will be spent painting out and about the Pecos and Sante Fe area. Possible ruins, and culture of the Pueblo and Navaho. A visit to the Georgia O'Keefe museum. Workshop instruction to cover plein air...with artists invited to work in their medium of choice. Photographic methods in taking better pictures of your art works, etc;

Still in its planning stages. Will keep those interested informed as plans progress and the time approaches. Both Paul and I are associated with ACT, "Artists in Christian Testimony" (out of the Nashville, Franklin, Tennessee area). Paul, is a professional photographer, and large sculpture installment artist.

If you'd like, you can contact me by email if you have further or more personal questions.

Larry Seiler

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 08-03-2001 at 01:34 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2001, 10:13 AM
Indiana

Hails from United States
Hi Larry,

I would love to hear more about "ACT". I wondered if there are any Christian Artists organization! Is it a big group?

Susan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2001, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
I will send you a private message and fill you in Susan! Thanks for your inquiry.

Oh....btw, for those searching for such....my friend Paul reminds me to mention "Christians in the Visual Arts" or "CIVA"....which is a wonderful organization putting on annual conferences, etc; check their website for more information at-
http://www.civa.org/home/index.html

Larry

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 08-01-2001 at 12:38 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2001, 10:02 AM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Great news about your retreat, Larry.

I'll move this over to the cafe where anything can be talked about. It probably will get more exposure there. The WetCanvas Events Forum is to discuss getaways that are planned for all of the membership and is an event especially for them.

Good luck, have fun.

Another way to promote your workshop would be to place it in the workshop calendar that you find at the top of forums and then do feel free to leave a message at the Cafe Guerbois.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2001, 12:53 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
How neat! And I'll definiately check out that web page.
  • Problem? I have way too much time on my hands! Answer? Put it down and pick up more paint brushes!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2001, 08:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pa.

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Annalizalou
Hi Larry,

I would love to hear more about "ACT". I wondered if there are any Christian Artists organization! Is it a big group?

Susan

Me too, Larry!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2001, 11:49 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Thanks Llis for the move....guess one nice thing is knowing there's still something to learn! More to look foward to when we know we've yet got something to get right!

I am a bit of a thinker. Myers and Briggs would call me an "INTP" type, though I feel that whole thing is interesting at best, but hardly definitive of the complexity of human nature. Besides, metaphysical naturalism (which proponents of the test would more or less ascribe to) only considers that "nature is all there is" and thus as a spiritual person I feel it can't help but fail to speak to the whole of the human condition. It gives only a partial glimpse and a hint toward interaction.

Yet, as a thinker and spiritual person I know how controversial in a postmodern relativistic pluralistic naturalist age being upfront with one's faith can be. As such, I think I've managed a fairly low profile here at WC. Yet, its not easy because while others revel in abstaining from pretense and <i>being</i> who they are, I know that if I do not hold back who I am, my welcome would be limited. If simply pushing the point were my reason for being here, that would not bother me to do so. However, it is not.

So, I look forward to workshops especially with other creatives whom also recognize faith and spirituality where we can let our hair down so-to-speak. To paint and celebrate life and enjoy the beauty and sublime of nature. To let God speak to our hearts. To refresh our spirits. To woo and romance Him in worship thru our talents. To find new energy to create a great body of work. To plug into purpose and direction. To see that ultimately doors of opportunity open by trusting in Him, that we learn by endurance to be patient, and above all learn and experience contentment.

Contentment is not ordinarily a <i>driving force</i> for most creatives. In fact, restlessness would more aptly be embraced to assure continued <b>need</b> for creating. Yet...I discover a natural response to my surroundings, to the beauty...to the wonderment of life, and the contentment that comes in it all drawing me closer and closer to my God cause enough. Making art is more a completion of who I am, rather than a means of asking questions about myself.

At any rate, to keep myself from rambling, those that might wish to learn more about "ACT" or "Artists in Christian Testimony" can check out my web site built for toward that end. My hope would be to build the capabilities to expose more people to the arts and the spiritual benefits of creative engagement. Here is that web site-

<b>ACT-</b>
http://netministries.org/see/charmin.exe/CM00117

Larry
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2001, 12:24 AM
Santa Fe

Hails from United States
Hey Sounds Great!!!!!! Keep me informed !!!!!! I live in the Santa Fe area, let me know if there is any thing that I can help with !!!!!! www.sssalas.com