WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Angers, in the Loire valley

Hails from Canada
First portfolio website - would appreciate feedback

I've got a first version of my artist's portfolio website up now (at long last). I've had a personal site up (and down.. and up again) in the past but this is the first time I've tried to put together something vaguely professional looking.

I've based it largely on scouting around at other artists' websites and deciding what I liked & didn't like....

I would greatly appreciate any feedback / suggestions for improvement.

>>> artbishop.com

Thanks
James
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: First portfolio website - would appreciate feedback

Quote:
Originally posted by james.bishop
I've got a first version of my artist's portfolio website up now (at long last). I've had a personal site up (and down.. and up again) in the past but this is the first time I've tried to put together something vaguely professional looking.

I've based it largely on scouting around at other artists' websites and deciding what I liked & didn't like....

I would greatly appreciate any feedback / suggestions for improvement.

>>> artbishop.com

Thanks
James

Looks like it's going to be a good one James. Congrats
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 06:21 AM
A Local Legend

Site is wonderful (as is the work it showcases).
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 07:50 AM
Immortalized
Oklahoma, the land of flying roofs

Hails from United States
Your site is very nice, loads quickly and easy to get around in. One question, is there a way to figure out the prices in other currencies such as the dollar?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
James....

Is your site still under construction? I get nothing when clicking on the two series, other than childhood. I also get only your pic and a click link on your "artist" page. Possibly, this is because your website was set up on IBM (or equivalent) PC... and I am on MacIntosh. If this is the case... this is good thing for you to know, so you can adjust your html.

If the html is not suitable for all possible computers and servers, it can be a pain to correct. It took me months to get my ebay auctions right. What did work for me was to use the basic code from Frontpage, and tweak it here and there... running back and forth from my MacIntosh to my husband's IBM PC to check. Just a thought.

From what I can see, it looks like a very clean, professional layout. Pictures are very crisp and colorful. Cannot comment further, for I don't know if I am loading everything you have on.

Nance
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 01:03 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
Looks like it will be nice....slick...easy...all good things

obviously not done....and a couple of the thumbnails don't enlarge

BUT you are certainly on the right track
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Angers, in the Loire valley

Hails from Canada
TeAnne, Fun2cook, thanks!

Tamara, you bring up a good point re currencies. I don't know any clever way of letting the visitor choose a preferred display currency, but perhaps displaying prices in euros and us dollars would be enough to give folks an idea.

Nance, it sounds like you're not getting any of the text on the site. And here I thought I'd been really careful by testing everything on three different browsers on my pc (plus an "old" browser on my work pc). But I don't have access to a Mac and am a bit at a loss how to find out what parts of the html are creating the problem on the Mac... That said, I went back through the html code with an on-line checker and found an out-of-place <font> statement that might have been messing things up. Corrected it now.

Pampe, I'll check those thumbnails again, they're supposed to be working. But that aside, yes the site is incomplete - I plan to put up a couple of older series of paintings, and maybe a links page.

Thanks everyone for your comments!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
James...

You were right about the text not showing up... and your correction did the trick! Site looks very good.. clean, easy to read, easy to get around.

Wishing you much success... Nance