WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
california

evening calls

Watercolor 18 x 24
Hi everyone..Please critique me I'm thinking there is something wrong here.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

it is not exactly wrong, just that the tree gets a bit thick and heavy - congested perhaps with reality's branches.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
california

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryW
it is not exactly wrong, just that the tree gets a bit thick and heavy - congested perhaps with reality's branches.

I should of told you that this is a dead tree its not alive its a very dead tree.. its the tree? I guess it looks like a broom huh..o boy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 02:42 PM
Immortalized
there

Oh dear, broom.
Usually snags have less twigs due to the elements especially if they've been around a while. I think the other thing is that the horizon cuts this one in half and then the fence quarters the bottom half so there's a lot of symmetry going on. I find your color choices very attractive and bold, I hope there's a way to save this one and if not perhaps giving it another go. I do like it anyhow.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada
Congratulations on the sky, fence and mountain! Terrific! Almost the same as the sunset I saw yesterday.

As for the tree I have to agree with the others, it needs work.
try a couple of studies only on trees, you'll notice the main braches start real thick and endd up real thin. THe smaller branches rarely connect to the main ones in an almost 90 degree angle. Also, except for a few kinds, most trees have their small branches all connected to a smaller number of main branches....
Oh I'm rambling! Let's see if I can find an analogy before everyone falls asleep!

It's like water running to the ocean, first you have a few Great rivers that are connected to a greater number of plain river, which are connected to an even greater number of streams and so on...

The other thing is the grass is a little too bright for me...but tha's just me.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
california

Ladysue Thank you for you comments on this one, I need to do just what your saying.. cut that dam tree down and cut it up for fire wood..well you didn't say that but that's what I'm goin to do
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 03:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Warsaw, IN....The ARTful Dodger

Hails from United States
I agree about the tree, fence etc etc....but ooohhh wheee baby! you have got this kewl color thing going on! Just like the last painting you had up with the ocean and boats....there is something very appealing about your color choices and the way it is handled. Bravo!!!
My ACEOs
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
california

Quote:
Originally posted by Fagan
I agree about the tree, fence etc etc....but ooohhh wheee baby! you have got this kewl color thing going on! Just like the last painting you had up with the ocean and boats....there is something very appealing about your color choices and the way it is handled. Bravo!!!

I know about this painting this one I did some time ago and just wanted to see what everyone had to say about it..I know all the things I have wrong with it in my mind but needed to have it voiced by all you's one thing I know I'm not painting anymore dead trees...Dam trees anyway..
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ftb
.. cut that dam tree down and cut it up for fire wood..well you didn't say that but that's what I'm goin to do

Do I sense a little impatience here

Don't worry so much about the whole. Remember your first painting? If you are anything like me, the whole picture seemed quite overwellming. so first you start with a background, or something simple like an apple.
Take it one step at the time: maybee a branch, a tree with leaves showing only a part of its branches....

but for now, I think you better take a step back, just so you don' t get totally frustrated.

Just my two cents.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
california

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladysue

Do I sense a little impatience here

Don't worry so much about the whole. Remember your first painting? If you are anything like me, the whole picture seemed quite overwellming. so first you start with a background, or something simple like an apple.
Take it one step at the time: maybee a branch, a tree with leaves showing only a part of its branches....

but for now, I think you better take a step back, just so you don' t get totally frustrated.

Just my two cents.

Ladysue hug's and kisses too you.. being that this is an older painting I'm not to bent about it.. neat thing about it I'm my own factory I can make more if I want to and I do..so be prepared I'll be showing more
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada
I'll be waiting!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 08:19 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Great potential in this image - the sunset is powerful and as others have said - a great selection of colors. Others pointed out the tree as the culprit; well it is kid of heavy - also adding in all the black mountains it becomes too busy...

I played around with your image a little - I hope you don't mind...

What I did and why:
  • made the tree much simpler and thinned the branches here and there as they felt to thick. I also looked more at the patterns in the negative space than the branches.
  • reduced and removed large portions of the distant montains.
  • added a suggestion of a second mountain ridge further away (in warm gray)
  • the parts of the painting felt isolated; a green field, a blue field, a black fence, then black mountains, and then the bands across the sky. Opening up the mountainridge in the area of the tree connected sky and middle ground.
  • I added some warmer pink colors to the foreground (in the darks), and some yellow/brown in the grass to unite colors more (i.e. bringing sky and middle ground colors to the foreground). Some pink went into the mountains
  • Added some green tones to the sky and middle ground.
  • Rim light and burn out added as an effect; I had soo much fun and overdid this a bit...
Next thing to work on would perhaps be to look at the use of blue - adding touches of the blue in the sky to some shadows in middle/foreground...

I realize I altered the feeling of the piece; the original is much more solemn - this was lost in the editing, but I think the ideas still come across...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 10:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
new smyrna beach florida usa

Hails from United States
i like the contrast
the structure composed of the vertical mass to the side,
crossed by two strong horizontals below center
such needs strong color and you have it in the grass
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Lord of the Arts