WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2003, 04:01 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Arrow Weekly Pastel Sketches 8 - 14 Dec

Welcome to another weekly sketch thread!

This thread starts afresh each Monday and the idea behind it is to get pastelling as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit. 25 or 30 minutes ... or 40-45 ... it's up to you, but your sketch should take no longer than one hour. When your time's up, STOP - and share your efforts with us here. If you find it hard not to keep fiddling, set a timer. You can always go back to your piece later if you want to take it further.

The aims are:

- To sharpen your observational skills. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life, but there's no law against using a ref photo if you prefer!

- To make friends with your pastels through practice, practice, practice. No critiques will be given unless you request them, so if you're a newbie this is an especially safe place to start developing your pastel skills.

- To make time for regular pastelling. Most of us have many other demands on our time, but it shouldn't be hard to fit in a 20-min session, even in a busy day. Sketch a single object if you like. No subject is too humble!

- To loosen up, getting the essentials down on paper within the set time. It's also a chance to be a bit playful or experimental without the worry of ruining a more 'formal' piece.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate!

Last week's sketch thread can be viewed here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=149989
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Just a sketchbook quickie in conté sticks - this took 20 mins.

My teapot sits on a cup, so that as the tea brews it warms the cup through. I'm on the lookout for a new one, though - this one dribbles!!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2003, 04:09 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
PART OF A LARGER painting

but I stopped at 30 minutes for the phot

This is HARD!!!!

argh

HINTS ON COPPER greatly appreciated

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2003, 05:19 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Oh my, Pam - this is superb - your best handling of the pastel yet!!

I've never painted copper ... but have done a couple of brass objects ... I just tried to paint the areas of different colour I could see, and I did notice that the objects reflected in the brass had a certain cast to them ... for example, blue was more turquoisey because of the influence of the brass colouring.

This is wonderful for 30 mins!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2003, 10:52 PM
In the Rockies of SW Montana.

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by E-J
Just a sketchbook quickie in conté sticks - this took 20 mins.

My teapot sits on a cup, so that as the tea brews it warms the cup through. I'm on the lookout for a new one, though - this one dribbles!!

I love your sketch, with the conte, I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done.

Tap ;~D
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 03:06 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Going to leave this one, Tap, and move on to something else! For me that's the joy of these quick sketches ... I don't have to fret that they're unfinished ... I did think of putting this teapot into a more considered still life but with its two handles, it's not the most elegant shape, is it?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:44 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Pam...Your handling of the highly reflective copper surface is so well handled that YOU should give advice on conquering such a difficult subject. I am VERY impressed. You say this is only the beginning of a painting. Please show us the finished piece!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
thank you, Preston...I plan to do it in watercolor today and then in oil....till I "get" it
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States
Here is my 30 min. sketch for this week. I may yet pursue this further. I have much work to do on the head and ear. Done on the same brown paper, but may consider doing a final piece on some better paper soon.

Stoy

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 03:28 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Stoy, another escapee from your menagerie

This is looking great, so I hope you do decide to finish it - and that you'll come back later with another version on some decent paper ... though the brown wrap really does suit these animal studies of yours! You have a clean and delicate touch with the pastels - an attractive style.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 04:44 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
I'm finding if I keep my Fabriano sketchbook to hand, it is easier to fit in a quickie sketch here and there, even if I'm tired or only have 25 mins to spare. Contés again.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 08:17 PM

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by E-J
Going to leave this one, Tap, and move on to something else! For me that's the joy of these quick sketches ... I don't have to fret that they're unfinished ... I did think of putting this teapot into a more considered still life but with its two handles, it's not the most elegant shape, is it?

Okay, call me slow, but I'm getting the real idea here... the idea is to do the little sketches and not worry about finishing or having perfection in a short amount of time... sketch, work for a set period on the picture and move on, and in doing so you will get better with each sketch... DUH!!! I think my brain fell out or froze somewhere on the way to or from work...

No, not the most elegant shape, but maybe it could have some artistic license taken with it... the handles seem at odds to me... they don't match or coordinate somehow... hmmm, maybe that's why the pot dribbles. It's crying over it's shape...

Tap ;~D
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 08:20 PM

Hails from United States
Stoy, you really have a way with the animals. If I tried this they could be entered for my abstract pieces. I wonder if there is a trick to sketching animals.

Tap ;~D
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 PM

Hails from United States
I ought to try that. I have all sorts of sketch pads that I like, but haven't used. I'm really out of the habit of doing sketches of any kind really... I mean, I paint, I have no idea what I'm going to lay down, I just do...

I have the problem of once I start I don't want to stop. Wonder if I were to start taking my break like I'm supposed to and did small sketches for my 15 minute break how that would work. Suppose I could bring a sketch pad and some pastel pencils with me to work. And depending on the paper I brought maybe I'd get a start on working on a whole painting that I could finish when I got home and didn't have to worry about my pastels making a mess of me.

Tap ;~D
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM

Hails from United States
I love your sketch, E-J. What did you do to get the lemon to look like that? What colors are your Conte? What color paper? And this is in a sketchbook? I need to do some shopping. LOL

I have stuff picked out for Santa to get me.

Tap ;~D