Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time February 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Ok, it’s official. The weather is just plain weird! It’s down right warm outside today. As in shirt sleeve weather and it’s February. There’s supposed to be snow on the ground and one needs at least a coat, if not scarf, hat and gloves. I’m confused. I can only guess the plants and animals are too. Wonder if the bears are coming out of hibernation early.

Anyway, progress on prototype 2 is continuing. So far it’s coming together. It’s not perfect, but I’m not starting over, so that’s good.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Prototype 2 sound interesting! I can’t wait to see it when you’re ready to show.

The weather is weird, we were at almost 50F(10C) today. I have trees that are budding. I also have a black squirrel who has decided he likes to eat walnuts on my porch. He is so cute but so messy.

It’s kind of funny but a few black squirrels were brought here from Ohio as pets by a major on the Arsenal in the 1800’s. He tried to keep them in a closet but of course being squirrels they simply left the minute he opened the door. They are all over the place now. They’re very pretty.

Lena, the acrylic course sounds fun. I’m biased though, acrylics are my favorite! Glad you were able to get your yarn.

I”m working on my small embroidery, trying to get better at french knots and roses. The front doesn’t look too bad but the back is a mess. I’m enjoying it though.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Lena

Yes the weather, yesterday we had first a storm with rain, sleet and snow, then it went up to +5 c . Today it is -5 c. It is now very icy for walking. I have spikes for under my boots but then that changes the angles and now my hips hurt.

Good luck with the new prototype, Debbie.
            Virginia, the back doesn’t count, line it and it is invisible. :lol:

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Virginia, yup 10C during the day and then plunged to 0C during the night where the rain turned to snow. Go figure. As Lena says, the back doesn’t count. Only the front of the work counts.

Lena, careful on that ice. How’s the knitting coming? Looking forward to the red yarn project.

Soon I hope to have something to show. Prototype 2 is still bald and naked. I was stalled on how I wanted to do the hair. Woke up with an idea that will be tried…

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

We hit nearly 60F ~ 15C! We still have a bit of snow left but it took the ice away, thank goodness. I’ve seen those spikes, I was wondering how they feel walking in them.

I think I may have french knots licked. It’s funny, it’s such a simple stitch but for some reason I have a mental block with them.

My husband has neck surgery this week, so I’ve been setting up the guest room to make it easy on him when he gets home. It’s all a bit of a worry but he’ll be okay.

Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Debby

Virginia, yay for mastering french knots. Best to you and your husband as he has surgery. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Ok, onto prototype 3. *sigh* The hair did me in. Obviously, I’m working on a doll. I tried to couch embroidery floss onto the head to be a wig cap. That was a nightmare of tangled thread and knots. Not even one time around and I decided to pick it out. Then I tried knotting the floss directly to the scalp. It took forever to unwind the floss to get the strands. Yet, it was too tedious to knot each strand. And they tended to tear out if pulled on too hard. *more sighing* Since the base material is felt, I’m going to try felt hair. Worked out some patterns and will try it tomorrow. Tonight I have to be an adult and make sure there are groceries bought and laundry done and cooking done for DH’s lunches for the work week.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Do you have felting needles? They look like needle sized forks.
                        One technique I learned is to cover the object with white glue a bit at the time, lay the fleece locks on it and stab lots. I have done it with feather bits. I wasn’t too successful. but others got the hang of it better then me. I did do it successfully with some chest hair.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for that tid-bit.

I’ll get back to working on the doll soon. More chores in my immediate future. :( I agree with the younger set, adulting isn’t easy.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

I have to agree, adulting is not easy! My husband is doing okay now though it’s been a long couple of days.

Hope the hair problem is sorted out! It all sounds very interesting.

Find me on Instagram
                            Find me on Facebook

Debby

Virginia, so glad to hear your husband is doing okay now. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Still working on the doll. However I’m currently cursing silk for being so slippery. :lol:

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

I bought a silk dress in the 1980’s. it’s very fine silk, you can crumple it into a little ball, then let it go and it flows back into shape. I can’t fit it anymore but I’ve kept it all these years because the material is so fine.

I just realized that my old doll, from the 1920’s has sprung a leak. I’m going to have to make her a body stocking.

My dog won’t go near my husband when he has his neck collar on. It’s the funniest thing. He keeps watching him out of the side of his eyes and he won’t sit with him but as soon as the collar is off, he’s fine. It’s pretty comical.

Find me on Instagram
                                Find me on Facebook

Debby

Virginia, oh no! Poor dolly. That’s amusing about the dog. Suspicious collar spotted, must be wary. :lol:

Switched gears and tried handkerchief weight linen is place of silk. It worked much better. Now I can move onto the next thing, cutting out the doll itself incorporating clothing into the base pattern instead of a separate item. Crossing my fingers this works.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Mostly I have been knitting. I finished the giant shawl and it is waiting to be blocked and started a pair of socks. I have had fun combining several patterns.

Marked post as adult.
                                        The weather keeps changing and I keep reacting.
                                        I started the acrylic painting course. It is impressionist style. Some people are having a hard time with letting go of details. But at least it is not flowers but local landscapes. Which means very much Group of Seven looks.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, you are so clever with your knitting adventures. I’d be one of those people not able to let go of details.

Stalled a bit on the doll project. Not sure why. I know what the next experiment entails, I just am not motivated to cut it out and sew it up.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

My son’s girlfriend would love those socks! Your knitting is amazing.

I love the Group of Seven. When I was young I spent a lot of time in Algonquin Park which Tom Thomson often painted (and he died there as well). My sister still goes every year, one of these years, I’ll get back up there.

Shame about the stalling, that happens though. I always have so many projects going on, I leap from one to one and sometimes I forget some.

Find me on Instagram
                                            Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.