WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Need Help with Traditional Approaches to proportions and Likenesses

some great advice here ! I suggest looking at the "Loomis Mannequin" and how he draws the head ( from a basics set of shapes like a ball and cone) and his proportional basics.. such good stuff and free/legal for download on the web ( google "Andrew Loomis downloads).. - Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Thank you for pointing that out, Pam. I've noticed with this drawing that for some reason when it comes to portraits I'm too conservative and not bold enough with my angles and diagonal lines and it ruins the likeness. I'm also still trying to figure out what makes a likeness. I've read there are two camps. One being feature shapes and their proximity to each other as found in caricatures. The other camp says it's mostly the shape of the head and details of the eyes.

Thank you for the suggestion, Randy. Not too long ago someone gave me a copy of that book but both the title and the intro sounded so questionable and off-putting to me that I set it aside. (I'm very sceptical of psychology trends). But maybe I should have to remember where I put it and take another look this time skipping the theories.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Thank you for that suggestion, Kevin. I will check that out.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM

An excellent way to train your eye for accuracy is the Charles Bargue drawing course. Itís a bit of a chore but it will teach you how to measure, if anything. Look into the sight-size method, too. Loomis etc. is great for constructing humans from imagination and breaking down the figure/head into basic forms, but is not exactly about getting the likeness down in portraits. There is also a course by Dorian Iten that focuses on accuracy that has some useful exercises, it can be found on gumroad. Next to these resources, one of the most important things to train your eye is simply mileage, so keep observing and drawing, and then some more!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

I don't recall "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" relying much on psychology, though I readily admit I haven't read the intro in awhile. The lessons within the book rely mainly utilizing our creative thinking processes as opposed to analytical thinking. For instance, thinking about shapes of light and dark instead what an object is. The object is accurately rendered because the placement of light and dark shapes is correct. Maybe an over-simplistic description, but the gist is I don't think think there is much reliance on being preached to about psychological theory like we might find in many self-help books. Like anything, take what you may find valuable and leave the rest. Or you may find it all not to your liking in which case that's fine too.

Randy
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 03:37 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewoontedier
An excellent way to train your eye for accuracy is the Charles Bargue drawing course. Itís a bit of a chore but it will teach you how to measure, if anything. Look into the sight-size method, too. Loomis etc. is great for constructing humans from imagination and breaking down the figure/head into basic forms, but is not exactly about getting the likeness down in portraits. There is also a course by Dorian Iten that focuses on accuracy that has some useful exercises, it can be found on gumroad. Next to these resources, one of the most important things to train your eye is simply mileage, so keep observing and drawing, and then some more!

Loomis - in my experience - is an excellent resource for developing the underpinnings so you can worry about "likeness ... in portraits".. likeness is quite easy - the human qualities: good proportion, perspective and value are much harder. - Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

There's always lots of good advice from the experienced folk on this site.
I think your drawings are coming along nicely. Surely the most important thing is practice.
The idea that 'creative' activity is mainly concentrated on one side of the brain has long been completely discredited in neuroscience. The industry in books, courses etc. which it spawned seems to carry on unabated. This is not to say that some of the exercises described in such works are not of value, just that the theory behind them is nonsense. After all, people have successfully navigated the oceans for centuries using the idea that the stars are fixed to a big sphere!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Thank you, Gewoontedier. I'll especially have to look into the Bargue course. It is the likenesses that elludes and baffles me. Recently, I saw a pop art (two toned and sort of cartoon style) painting that depicted Marylin Monroe without eyes... But it was still very obviously her. The hair outline and mole gave it away.

I'll give that book another go, Randy, as soon as I find it again. It sounds like I was too quick to put it down in the first place.

That is a very good point, 123harry, about nautical navigation. Thank you for pointing that out. 🙂

I've been still trying to get a likeness but I haven't quite succeeded and I've been quickly losing steam with each fail. My intention isn't to produce a perfect portrait but rather to capture a likeness with a Renaissance style drawing (as like da Vinci) where the head seems to be protruding from the paper. My most recent attempt is below. This time I didn't measure anything except the first angle which was the side of the face on the left side of the page as compared to the bottom of the page. I only measured that because I noticed in all my previous attempts the angle was too vertical and threw off the whole thing. It is closer to what I want but still not quite right. I adjusted brightness and contrast of the photo so the lines can be seen.