Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Natrosol as acrylic thickener

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    autolisp

Has anyone used ‘Natrosol’ as a thickener for acrylic medium. I tried it – it does thicken – but I thought it felt a bit ‘Gummy’. It is used to make ‘party slime’ for kids. I have been trying to make a clear gel using Silicon Dioxide and also Fumed Silica. But I am having problems getting them to thicken distilled water. Has anyone succeeded in doing this. I can get each to thicken acrylic paint without any problems other than they make the paint a bit ‘grainy’.

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

Dcam
            autolisp

Thanks for the reply. I have tried them but I need something thicker.

DMSS

Golden makes an extra heavy gel. It is quite thick. There is also molding paste/modeling paste, which is very thick, but it lightens colors and makes them opaque.

--David

Has anyone used ‘Natrosol’ as a thickener for acrylic medium. I tried it – it does thicken – but I thought it felt a bit ‘Gummy’. It is used to make ‘party slime’ for kids. I have been trying to make a clear gel using Silicon Dioxide and also Fumed Silica. But I am having problems getting them to thicken distilled water. Has anyone succeeded in doing this. I can get each to thicken acrylic paint without any problems other than they make the paint a bit ‘grainy’.

Use hair gel, it is basically water and a few substances to hold the water in gel form. You need to mix it well, but it works.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

autolisp

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought about hair gel but am concerned about additional chemicals. I have just had a conversation with friend of mine who has extensive knowledge about industrial chemistry. He said I will not be able to do it at home because of the equipment needed to successfully combine the fumed silica with the water. He mentioned ‘shear something or other’. Oh well another idea bites the dust.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought about hair gel but am concerned about additional chemicals. I have just had a conversation with friend of mine who has extensive knowledge about industrial chemistry. He said I will not be able to do it at home because of the equipment needed to successfully combine the fumed silica with the water. He mentioned ‘shear something or other’. Oh well another idea bites the dust.

Acrylic paint is far far more resilient than human hair… acrylic paint is not something fragile. People worry too much about minor contaminants. If it was so easy to damage then you would not be able to mix so many varieties of pigment.

You can mix ground DIRT with acrylics and the paint film will still be stronger and more resilient than the most PURE and pristine oil painting.

On a specific note, hair gel is silica, water Propylene glicol and smell nice additives.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

autolisp

I have searched for hair gel in acrylic painting. There seems to be a problem of ‘shrinkage’ and ‘gummy’ layer associated with it. The lists of ingredients suggests they is a lot more than a simple gel.

I have searched for hair gel in acrylic painting. There seems to be a problem of ‘shrinkage’ and ‘gummy’ layer associated with it. The lists of ingredients suggests they is a lot more than a simple gel.

Feel free to be paranoid…. most people spend money on professional acrylic fluidifiers.. when it is simply the same acrylic base as floor finish. Or they pay for slow driers when they can buy propylene glicol for a fraction of the price…. People have this myth that paints are so high tech and specialized stuff. IF it were the case, you would not be able to afford it since it is a small scale industry. All these paints are products are re purposing of acrylics of other industry fields. I prefer to save that money to buy more paints or paints with more pigment load.

There are lot of artists that used hair gel and intimate lubs for that purpose before specialized re-purposing products got readily available in market. I do it for 11 years…. never had any reason to regret(just avoid products with strong pigmentation since it may change colors).

All that said, there are obviously limits on how much of ANYTHING you can mix with before you start to screw things up.

autolisp

I am not paranoid. If you look at past posts you will see that I have donated several ‘non artistic’ ideas to this site for the benefit of artists. Don’t insult someone on the site if you do not know them personally.

autolisp

Come to think of it. Don’t do it even if you do know them!

Fooly

I’m also looking to create an acrylic thickener. I want to create high peaks and a more 3D effect while still being light and airy. A consistency of marshmallow fluff or buttercream icing. I was thinking of trying fumed silica. Have any more suggestions?

This is an old thread and I will close it.

If anyone has new information, or a question, please open a new thread …. members in this thread may not all be visiting any longer.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Natrosol as acrylic thickener’ is closed to new replies.