WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Mirko Hanák - tools and tricks

I have recently discovered Mirko Hanák and this archived thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/arch.../t-934157.html

I know he used rice paper and sumi-e and lithography - but to get the textural effects and precision it must have been very smooth paper. And the pigments had to have had the perfect granulation and transparency properties - so I'm trying to research what paints he used, whether he added anything to the water. I'm looking all over internet for background.

I did find something about his thinking process re. storyboarding here:
https://genedeitchcredits.com/roll-t...harlottes-web/

He was a master of so many things! If you have any information about the tools and techniques he used please share! And Thanks!

website/FB/IG/YT
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Mirko Hanák - tools and tricks

I think he used TALENT to do this... paints/paper/brushes all come in a distant second.

I once watched a guy on the street use school chalk to create the most amazing photo realistic drawing I had ever seen..... TALENT... all the supplies you need.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesto126
I think he used TALENT to do this... paints/paper/brushes all come in a distant second.

I once watched a guy on the street use school chalk to create the most amazing photo realistic drawing I had ever seen..... TALENT... all the supplies you need.
Obviously
And clearly not the response I'm looking for.

website/FB/IG/YT
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

He might have ground his paints from traditional ink sticks. I'll bet Brian T Meyer would know.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne Keogh
Obviously
And clearly not the response I'm looking for.

Well.. good luck with your search then.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 03:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

As in all things, some people are naturally more gifted than others. We like to call that Talent. One of my Students, whom I had been teaching since she was 10 years old, exhibited that level of expertise. However, there have been many, many times where she needed guidance and advice on technique.

Yvonne Keogh, this man was splendidly talented there's absolutely no doubt. But, he used techniques that can be emulated. I can see that he worked wet-in-wet, added calligraphy and understood his colour mixing and values. Studying the relationship of water to paper and brush to paper, you can begin to replicate some of these images.

I often recommend Ewa Karpinska's book, Wet-on-Wet Watercolour Painting: A Complete Guide to Techniques and Materials, is an excellent resource in learning the stages of wetness. It's ridiculously expensive now, but perhaps you can borrow it from the Library.

Take heart. Even if you are never able to paint in a manner similar to Mirko Hanák, by studying the basic tenets of your craft, you'll improve your painting skills exponentially!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

It looks like in addition to wet-in-wet, that he pressed his fingertip into the wet paint to get those neat oval impressions that help distinguish the form. Or it could have been a deersfoot brush, which is an old-fashioned shape and I am not sure if it is used in Chinese or Japanese painting technique.

I love the red fox looking over its shoulder.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks all
Beautiful fur effects and everything else on the deer for this Bambi book:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/onnder...7620170399757/

How did he achieve this fur effect????

website/FB/IG/YT

Last edited by Yvonne Keogh : 11-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

You can create that effect with a wet brush on unsized rice paper. Below is an ink painting on unsized rice paper. To create the furry tail I ran a line of water down where the tail was going. Then I painted the tail by painting another line down the middle with a wet brush of ink. The ink spreads into the damp paper and moves out to create those soft edges. A wet brush of ink will create a similar effect but adding some water to the paper first really makes the ink run wild. Think like you are painting with watercolor on tissue paper! Now the trick is to know how wet to make the paper and/or how wet to make the brush full of ink! Go get some rice paper and give it a try.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

That's a beautiful furry cat Oldey - thanks! He must have used coloured inks then for this effect.

website/FB/IG/YT
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Here are some more examples I just did. I also painted a dab with Chinese watercolors. They are not the same as western watercolors. You see they don't behave like the ink does. Perhaps he used colored in or western watercolors. A little experimenting would tell you. You can still see my paper is wet!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

This is as furry as I can get with Chinese ink on rice paper. Not even close to what he achieved. This one is on a cheaper rice paper though - there are different versions. Different pigments break up in different ways too.

website/FB/IG/YT
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

All of the tools play a part. The paper, ink, watercolor if used, and brushes are very different from watercolor paper and watercolor brushes. Watercolor paper is thicker and less absorbent. The ink brushes hold and release liquid differently. While sumi e brushes can be used with traditional watercolors the reverse is not true.
Those are beautiful paintings btw.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Bingo! You have the concept! What he used for color I do not know.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesto126

Why such a condescending and unhelpful reply? It takes more than raw talent to get good at most things and being able to infer another artist's technique is itself a talent.

Count me in as also desiring to know how those effects were achieved.