WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia
Latest attempts and a question, or 2 :)

I'm a real beginner in this area, and sketching from like is a real challenge. However, I really enjoy sketching with inks.

Current dilemma: with inks, I'm having trouble showing the difference between texture and shadows, and showing points of bright light. The image/s will hopefully help show what I mean.

I've added the messy one first as it shows my dilemma most clearly. It's a pencil sketch then pen/nib over the top.
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"Art from the heart. That's what I do."
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Latest attempts and a question, or 2 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenieJo
I'm a real beginner in this area, and sketching from like is a real challenge. However, I really enjoy sketching with inks.

Current dilemma: with inks, I'm having trouble showing the difference between texture and shadows, and showing points of bright light. The image/s will hopefully help show what I mean.

I've added the messy one first as it shows my dilemma most clearly. It's a pencil sketch then pen/nib over the top.
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi Jenie, the first thing I notice is that your paper is not white - this is a difficult place to start from ! although it is a very minor branch of P&I drawing to use a middle toned tinted paper & add a opaque white paint highlight - the technique is best left alone until you feel comfortable with the standard black ink white paper approach.

So starting there -
1. First look at where the light is coming from (or where you want it to come from) draw a large arrow at the top of the page in light pencil ,This is the direction from where the light is coming from.
2. Now draw your outline lightly in pencil first for the sake of this demonstration.
3. Next Ink the outline - don't just slavishly trace over the pencil outlines , instead re-look at the subject & try to capture the feel of the subject ,light & delicate or bold & heavy etc. Are you all ready to start inking now ?
Well stop! Look at your direction of light arrow ,say it is coming in from the top right this means (roughly speaking) that all the lines facing the left are hit directly by the light - use a thin line to depict these lines,work fast & use a very light touch, or the back of the fountain pen nib even have a few breaks in the line , Light side = Light line.
On the other right hand, shadow side use a solid, bolder & heavier line.
OK, the above is simplistic but shows the principle of outlining your subject, with practice the subtleties that can be put across with the outline alone can be more than enough to give real life to a pen drawing.However it is the most challenging technique to perfect !

OK. you've got an outline & you're using a fountain pen & you want to put some shade in - perhaps the quickest easiest & most pleasing to the eye is to take a wash from the inked lines.
So a dry tissue in one hand to dry off stop colour creep etc. & a only just wet fine round brush in the other hand, go down the dark line & half way across towards the light side. You may have to agitate the wet line to get things flowing a little.

Of course using hatching lines is another approach, you'll notice I said hatching & not cross hatching. You can get all the tones you need with hatching lines (done in the same direction of your subjects shape ) with this single layer of uni-directional lines & they can emphasise & clarify the subjects shape whereas crosshatching in anything but the hands of a master looks crude & flat ,dead even.

Yes , is that texture ? or is that tone ? or is it local colour ! It can be all three at once ! Such things are learned by experience alone I'm afraid but I can tell you to focus only on light for now & all will come in P&I. through practice.
After all what have you got ? white paper & black ink ,light & dark - that's it ! yet within that confining limitation is a world of opportunity !
Mike
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:45 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Mike has given very detailed advice so I won't repeat it!

What I will say is practice using your pen with different pressure weights so you can draw very faint, light lines and all the tones up to black! ...... practice varying the wright within a single line.

The leading edge of a shape should be very light ( nearest the light) .....

The darkest areas are those behind others.....

With a rounded form, the 'edge' is never darker than the form next to it as there are no edges to a rounded form!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Greenville, SC

Hails from United States

One technique is to draw the texture using thin light lines in areas of bright light and use heavier lines in areas so shade. Alphonso Dunn has a short video on the subject that I think is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dm4TJbxqw

This is another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP-yYa2eixA

Good luck and have fun
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

Thank you so much. It puts so many things into place. I must admit I thought the paper was white!! It was a gift, and is quite beautiful but pages are not pure white.

I have played with washes but didn't get the results I wanted. Back to the drawing board.

You make it sound so simple when I have something that is a sign of progress i'll pOst again.

Jennie

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Mike has given very detailed advice so I won't repeat it!

What I will say is practice using your pen with different pressure weights so you can draw very faint, light lines and all the tones up to black! ...... practice varying the wright within a single line.

The leading edge of a shape should be very light ( nearest the light) .....

The darkest areas are those behind others.....

With a rounded form, the 'edge' is never darker than the form next to it as there are no edges to a rounded form!

Thank you! I can see I've been trying to do what you suggest in you hints.

Now, I have more things to practice. Cheers. jennie

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

I am having fun. Thanks for the videos, I watched too many too quickly, I think.

I'm looking forward to starting again with these.