Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Harvest mouse – photographer Dave Webb

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MagdaleneL

Pitt pens in sepia with a little bit of watercolour. A mix of stippling (very little) and lines.

MagdaleneL

I think I was a little liberal with the pink, the mousie looks like he is blushing at being caught in the act of pinching some wheat kernels.

laika

I like this! The mouse looks rather pleased with itself :) Looks like it could be an illustration for a fun story.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                - Otto Rank

MagdaleneL

I like this! The mouse looks rather pleased with itself :) Looks like it could be an illustration for a fun story.

Thanks Laika. Yep I love little creatures like harvest mice and squirrels and they are such fun to draw. There is a watercolourist in the Netherlands who draws these beautiful pics of mice and wildlife called Marjolein Bastin. Look her up sometime. They are simply lovely works. She is an inspiration for everyone who loves small creatures and flowers.

Anonymous

The exact amount of pen line work adds real impact & makes the mouse the centre of attention, while the subtle background wash with no pen in it adds a whole lot without threatening the main show.
                        Altogether an unusual but very successful balanced marriage of the two very different mediums. Most interesting.
                        Mike

Bill

Magdalenei, I am very fond of pen & ink and watercolor, and I often paint in that style. I think your interpretation is lovely. I think, like Mike, that you have very good mix of the two mediums.
                            Bill

Be kinder than necessary

MagdaleneL

Thank you very much Bill and Mike. I wasn’t very happy with the background but as you say Mike the background is anyway not the focus and should’nt be and watercolour is just so temperamental hehe, I love watercolour but it never does what it’s told as everyone who have tried it will know. Part of it’s charm I think, but maybe I am a little tiny bit control freakish so I am never happy with how it turns out. :lol:

Joel L

I like it! I agree that there feels like a nice ratio between ink and watercolour. Feels like the mouse has some character. More friend than foe!

MagdaleneL

Thanks Joel, I love fairy tales. I know not something most adults would admit to haha. When my kids were small I dragged them unwillingly to watch Disney films so Mom could watch them. So I guess the pic of the mouse reminded me of the fairy tales I love. Do you remember the fairy tale books we used to have?? So much prettier and nicer than the ones today with the most exquisite illustrations. I often go online to find new folk and fairy tales of course OLD ones none of the modern stuff. Grimm and Andersen and others of that age. Like the little match girl, the Happy Prince (with the pretty swallow) I think Oscar Wilde wrote that one. etc. Oh I better stop there once I get started I can go on and on.

Anonymous

Do I not see in this drawing style & hear in the above comment the birth of a a wonderful new project here ?
                                            One that both your hand & heart seem perfectly suited :wink2:
                                            Mike

MagdaleneL

Do I not see in this drawing style & hear in the above comment the birth of a a wonderful new project here ?
                                                One that both your hand & heart seem perfectly suited :wink2:
                                                Mike

Hi there Mike, you mean write a fairy tale book myself?? I guess I will let the muse decide that. I have never really considered doing anything like it, and I guess if I ever do it will be because I can’t help but do it. It was like that with poetry, one day out of the blue I had these words in my head and had to put them on paper. Then one day they all dissapeared again. It was but a short visit so who knows if one day a fairy might not come to whisper her sweet story in my ear. If so I will be here .. listening. And thank you for the idea, sometimes in idea must percolate through your mind and unconscious to come to life :heart:

Anonymous

May we all oftentimes hear that whisper.
                                                    Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.