Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing need advice for textured tint

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BlackHand

I had an idea to make a background wash for a canvas that is a neutral off white with very small black flakes of various sizes. I also want to achieve some brush strokes or runny paint effects with all the different white and light gray tones. I know I will need to do some layering for the brush strokes but I am not sure how to go about buying or making my matte black flake ingredient. I want the particles to range from 50 micron up to 1mm with uniform distribution. I want the particles to lay flat like flakes not round like sand. at first I was thinking about doing an acrylic pour on wax paper and then grinding the dry paint film in a mortar and pestle. alternatively I could use an electric grinder.

another idea I had would be to buy a powder pigment or maybe just use what I have and start finding ways to clump it up. I could maybe do something with oil and water. maybe there is some powdered pigment I can buy? what about the plastic flakes for epoxy flooring? if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.