Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Art-Dreamer

Hi

I am very new to painting and i tried acrylics, color pencils and then Pastels. But i have to say Pastels got my attention and i felt i have more control with pastels than acrylics. Here is my first attempt. This is an oil dispenser in my home which i tried to paint from real life but it was not working out so I took a photo and then painted from it . I used Mungyo, Rembrandt pastels and the paper is art spectrum colourfix . Please do comment & Critique:) :) . Thank you for your time

Swapna Iyengar

water girl

Welcome to the pastel forum! For a first attempt at pastels you seem to have picked it up quickly. I can see that you are playing with layers. The grittier (sanded paper) the paper, the more layers you can add. You painted a very believable bottle of oil. The only suggestion I can make is to add a bit more color and texture to your table top. Squint when you are looking at that flat surface and you’ll pick up variations in value and tone. I always caution that before you make any changes, think about it for a bit. Suggestions are suggestions and this is your painting.
            When you paint from life, try playing around with the light for a bit of fun. Just for an example, if you back light slices of oranges, you’ll achieve a different effect than when front lit or lit from the side. I hope you’ll continue to join us. Stop by other threads and feel free to comment and encourage our other members.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Art-Dreamer

Thank you so much for the feedback really appreciate it. I agree with you about the table top , after i painted i felt the same i may go back add more texture . Thank you again for the wonderful feedback its really helpful :) Will definitely take your suggestion and will play around with lights :)

Swapna Iyengar

Donna T

You did a wonderful job with this for a first or fiftieth attempt! Karen gave you some great tips and advice and I’ll just add that I hope you give painting from life another chance. Photos just don’t show all the subtle and interesting color variations that our eyes do. If you keep your set-up very simple and make sure to light it strongly from one direction it’s very helpful. I love to put an object into a cardboard box from which I’ve cut a window in the side to shine a bright light through. It’s amazing how beautiful a simple object like an egg can be when it’s lit well inside a box. You can place different colored papers or fabrics behind and under your set-up until you find something that grabs you. Keep up the great work!

Donna
                    C&C Always Welcome

Art-Dreamer

Thank you so much. Really great tips I will definitely try it out :) Appreciate your comments and feedback :)

Swapna Iyengar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.