Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Lightning "OTRs" RAF Leuchars 87.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Although Leuchars was a Phantom unit during most of the 80s . The unit did have the facilities to arm Lightnings from Binbrook if required. Special teams practiced Operational Turn Rounds (OTRs).
    My next painting will set the scene of an armourer waiting for the Lightnings coming. I will put a Phantom in the process of landing with 2 lightnings in the distance. Painting this figure is going to be a challenge.
    Ta John

NeilF92

I liked those odd moments when you found yourself with nothing to do but sit , wait and watch – and enjoy just being part of such a scene .

Phantom added and Lightning. May add another Lightning. Probably shuffle lightnings about.

Gray539

Looking forward to the progress of this one, John.

Really struggling painting the folds and creases of the overalls. Using acrylic gouache which dries quite fast. Have already cocked up figure twice. I also need to turn his head around to look directly at the 2 Lightnings. Been looking at articles on how to achieve the folds.
            2 Lightnings added.
            Hopefully the next picture should show a painted figure with decent creases. Still enjoyable though. Ta John

Thought I would have a start with the main figure regarding the overalls and the folds and creases. After 5 goes I suddenly realised that I was struggling. I very now realised that there is some rules to be followed. The figure will be redone now I understand what’s going on. This is the figure at the moment buts it’s going to be changed
            Ta John

NeilF92

Interested to see how the overalls turn out . clothing is one of my weak areas , struggled with it in my 92 Sqn Lightning pic .

Just spent 6 hours on this figure and it’s still not right.
                Any ideas anyone.
                Ta John

vegaskip

Change the title to NAFFI Break!.
                    Jim

A bit more done …have not decided what type of sky to do yet. Put a moustache on the figure as in “Freddie Mercury “. We had an armourer who was the spitting image of Freddie who was very popular with the woman back in those days.
                    Comments welcome. Ta John

Lazarus2

Looking good. I have good memories of RAF Leuchars, being a Phantom backseater (USAF) in the 1980’s. We always enjoyed flying there from Ramstein and sampling the local fare. I’ve never been to this forum, although I’ve done a couple historical aviation photos. Thanks for posting this.
                        Mike, .

Added a few more figures and replaced the Lightnings with a single ship. Enjoying this…

A bit morecently done. I very happy with the figure on the left…a happy accident.
                        Ta John

That’s nearly it…just a bit of tidying up.
                        Ta John

NeilF92

Not liking the pointing figure on the right John – can’t figure out the perspective /scale on him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.