WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 AM

Will Liquin Original overpower the slow drying time of stand oil?

I like slow drying medium so I can come back to a painting after a few days and still work wet on wet. To make things easy I pre mix my paints with stand oil and OMS and sometimes some clove oil into small containers.

If I go paint en plein air, I would like to have my paint dry fairly quickly since those paintings usually involve a lot of transporting and I don't plan to add to them at a later time.

If I take my pre-mixed slow drying paint and use Liquin Original while out in the field, will the liquin overpower the slow drying qualities of the stand oil and make for a quick drying paint? Or will it just turn into a sticky surface for a while?

I would like to hear from someone who may know but I will probably just try it for myself to find out.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 AM

Re: Will Liquin Original overpower the slow drying time of stand oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston_pounder
.... I pre mix my paints with stand oil and OMS and sometimes some clove oil into small containers.

If I go paint en plein air, I would like to have my paint dry fairly quickly since those paintings usually involve a lot of transporting and I don't plan to add to them at a later time.

If I take my pre-mixed slow drying paint and use Liquin Original while out in the field, will the liquin overpower the slow drying qualities of the stand oil and make for a quick drying paint? Or will it just turn into a sticky surface for a while?
So you've already mixed a slow drying medium into your (store bought?) oil paint and now you want to add more medium (Liquin) to make it dry faster outside.....that's an awful lot of medium to add to paint meant for plein air painting. Sounds like a slimy mess. And an excess of oil binder means the paint film will yellow more. Who wants yellowed plein air paintings?
Why can't you just use normal oil paint with the Liquin?

Last edited by Antonin : 04-07-2019 at 04:29 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:46 AM

I can. The whole idea is just to use the paints I've mixed already. If I spend a month doing plein air paintings, I don't want that paint in the containers going to waste. I know they probably won't dry but this is more of a technical question.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston_pounder
I can. The whole idea is just to use the paints I've mixed already. If I spend a month doing plein air paintings, I don't want that paint in the containers going to waste. I know they probably won't dry but this is more of a technical question.
Add Cobalt drier instead of Liquin.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Add Cobalt drier instead of Liquin.

I will second that. You only need to add a tiny bit of CoZiCa or some other dryer to your existing paints to speed up the drying process. I bought the CoZiCa because it was less expensive than other brands and it works as advertised. That being said it might not take much alkyd medium to speed up the drying. If you already have some alkyd medium, test it and see.

If you do end up getting some CoZiCa or something like it, I would recommend using a solvent resistant dropper bottle to dispense it in predictable drop sizes and only add as much as is needed without going over the maximum recommended. Test always before using in a painting.

The red caps as shown in the photo, work better for me than the clear silicone caps. The clear ones break too easily, causing leakage in my plein air kit plus the ones I have do not seal well between the screw on cap and the bottle. I have to put some teflon tape on the threads to get a tight seal. I would not recommend getting that style. The black cap / red top cap design also has replaceable needles which is a better setup than the other style, but they will cost you more. Regardless of which you use, keep them in a water tight bag or container in case they do leak. If you can find them, get a set with a solid screw on cap as well as the needle tipped cap for a more secure seal when traveling.
Attached Images

Last edited by contumacious : 04-07-2019 at 12:28 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

I dispense CoZica using a toothpick, which is also used to blend into the paint.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguino
I dispense CoZica using a toothpick, which is also used to blend into the paint.

A good dispensing method for studio work for sure. Perhaps not ideal for plein air work since you would need to keep track of the toothpick, the lid for the bottle and would have to constantly be opening and closing the bottle which gets annoying. With the lid off the factory bottle, if it gets dropped or tipped over, you are going to lose most if not all of the contents. The needle tipped bottles can be tipped over without much risk of spilling as long as you don't leave it laying down too long and it is not over filled. With thin liquids I like to fill the bottle to the point where the liquid doesn't reach the needle tip when laying flat so it won't leak out even if left flat with the cap off the needle. With higher viscosity liquids like Linseed Oil, it is not as much of a concern.