WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Oil primer with paint and alkyd medium?

I want to try painting on an oil ground instead of gesso. Mainly because of the lower absorbency of oil surface. But I don't want to spend a lot on ready made oil primers from WN or Gamblin (They are very expensive where I live).

I have a big tube of Daler Rowney titanium white which I don't use after switching to Van Gogh. Also I have two big bottles of Chroma Archival's lean medium and one bottle of fat medium (both alkyd based) sitting in the storage. I don't use them any more because I'm painting with a medium of spike & stand oil mixture.

Question is, can I prepare an oil ground with the Rowney titanium and lean (or fat) medium? I read that the viscosity should be like cream. And I don't think it will take forever to dry because of the alkyd medium.

The surfaces are small MDF boards which will be sized with (again expensive) Gamblin GAC 100 first. (Does it need sanding before applying oil primer?)

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Oil primer with paint and alkyd medium?

Normally one would have expected half a dozen responses by now, maybe everyone is out enjoying the spring weather? (Snowing here today.)

You definitely can use your white oil paint and some alkyd medium to make an oil ground. It will be very slippery and non absorbent, perhaps a bit more than you want. I wouldn't add more of the medium than needed to speed the drying time, certainly not more than the maker recommends. A general max is around 20% for some products if it doesn't say.

To give it a bit more tooth and less shine, add some calcium carbonate (marble dust, whiting, chalk). You can buy calcium carbonate soil conditionar at most gardening shops and whiting at paint stores. No need to pay a premium for "artists" marble dust. Just be sure it is a very fine grit powder. Be sure to test whatever mix you come up with to determine the amount you like best, before covering all your panels.

As for the sealing you don't have to use GAC100. I would save that for other stuff since it is so expensive. Any commercial primer will be fine. Zinsser, Kills, XIM UMA, Bulls Eye Wax Free Shellac, plain old acrylic Gesso and several other materials will do the job. You do not need to worry about SID (Substance Induced Discoloration) with oils on wood panels like you do with Acrylics. Just seal all sides and edges with something that will help keep the moisture out. You can sand the sealer to make it more smooth but you don't need to. The viscosity of the oil primer depends on how you apply it, knife or brush, and how smooth you want it to be. Again, test before proceeding on working panels. Let the primer / sealer dry for the recommended time before putting your oil ground on there.

If you have not already purchased the MDF panels, I would recommend using tempered hardboard from Lowe's instead. The 1/8" works well up to 11x14, I prefer the 3/16th for larger than 9x12. If you already have the MDF, they will be OK to use. Just be sure to seal them well to prevent warping and expansion from moisture absorption.

Last edited by contumacious : 04-03-2019 at 11:14 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Thank you. I will go easy with the alkyd rate then.

I'll try to find equivalent sealers of those you mentioned, since they aren't available here (Istanbul). Or I'll directly gesso the board.

Since I don't paint with acrylics, don't know what to do with gac 100. Maybe selling it will be a good idea because I carried it all the way from Italy where it was cheaper, so won't lose money I hope

I couldn't find the tempered hardboard stuff here with an internet search, so I have to ask a hardware store owner who knows English and will help me find it. But also I read in some threads good quality MDF's are also reliable, but like you I think there are better options.

I will post a review after I do a painting on my home made oil primer.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetinYilmaz
Thank you. I will go easy with the alkyd rate then.

I'll try to find equivalent sealers of those you mentioned, since they aren't available here (Istanbul). Or I'll directly gesso the board.

Since I don't paint with acrylics, don't know what to do with gac 100. Maybe selling it will be a good idea because I carried it all the way from Italy where it was cheaper, so won't lose money I hope

I couldn't find the tempered hardboard stuff here with an internet search, so I have to ask a hardware store owner who knows English and will help me find it. But also I read in some threads good quality MDF's are also reliable, but like you I think there are better options.

I will post a review after I do a painting on my home made oil primer.

You are welcome. The MDF should be OK if that is all you can find. Any primer for wood that is compatible with oil based paints should be fine for sealing the MDF. The GAC100 will also work OK to seal it.