Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    daveg

Hi, I have a number of ink jet prints I want to mount onto wooden painting panels.
        I’ve tried spray mount adhesive but haven’t had success as it often doesn’t stick thoroughly even after coating both the print and substrate.

I have also tried acid free glue but have found the glue is too wet and will be absorbed into the inkjet paper and buckle (even after varnishing the paper).

Dry mounting hasn’t been successful either as the grain of the wood shows through.

Does anyone have experience with Laminall?
        Any other suggestions?

Thanks

frodron

Have you tried varnishing the wood first ?

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

daveg

I put Gesso over the wood before mounting

frodron

I think that varnishing would stop the grain showing through and give you a hard surface which should help your adhesion problem.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Anonymous

Try spraying the back of the print with a solvent based workable fix before using a wet process. This will prevent the paper from absorbing moisture and buckling.
                        Gesso dries too hard. You need to use a polymer acrylic gel which remains sticky when dry. Coat both the panel and the print. At this point heat will reactivate the polymer which is essentially a thermal plastic, Or merely add another coating of polymer and stick the sandwich together while still wet and weight it down for a day or two.

Daniel Smith

Maybe use a good hardwood and sand well so the surface grain does not show?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.