WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#346   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykirobme
I know I said I wouldn't spam my WIP but I'm really happy with how it's shaping up after last night's session. I still have to firm up the edges and colors on the foreground rapids and finish the fallen tree.

Do I need something in the background left? My original picture was heavily cropped to make this image; there's a few more rocks outside the left edge of the frame and I'm wondering if I should pop those in.

Ken you have done wonderful rushing swirling water. I love that my eye takes me straight from the water and to the branch/rock and unless you wanted salmon going upstream ( you have two little dark blue lines which I thought perhaps may be a suggestion of fish) I would leave well alone, as it is lovely as it is... in my view . Great work.
  #347   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Dundee

Hails from Scotland

Currently working on this big boy

Thanks

Russ
  #348   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 08:34 AM

16X20 Canvas. Byron Bay exercise. Finding it hard to make time to get into the studio lately, but will be on a weekend vacation shortly where I hope to find some inspiration!

#349   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

That is wonderful, I have been to that lighthouse . Well done. I am assuming you have conjured that picture up because I don't know where you could be standing to have captured that view, if not in your mind. Great work.
  #350   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Hails from Canada

Yay! Finished! (With the awesome help from a few of you wonderful people.) I am happy with this one.
Holyrood Scene, 11 x 14 acrylic on stretched canvas.

C/C graciously accepted.

To see my other work please visit:
https://morgancm6.wixsite.com/Cmartsy
  #351   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:16 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by J14CCY

Thanks

Russ
Aww, love the wrinkles. Nice work.

#352   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Hails from Canada

Attn: Skyrobie
Ken,
I really like this. I would add the rocks to the side but I am just an amateur so...
Love Merriweather's idea of a salmon swimming upstream.
Very nice work as is though.. I could stare at this for hours.

Last edited by CindyPaintings : 07-05-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Attn. Skyrobie
  #353   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I've been working on this thinking, mistakenly, that it would be quick and easy! As someone else mentioned having a difficult time doing straight lines just today, I had decided I wanted to get into doing straight lines with hard edges. I wanted to be a step off "abstract" so I had some sense of what I wanted to create. I did a few bigger ones but with water color and inks. But this is difficult because it'll look "okay" until I take a photo then I see all the places where paint did not reach. I'll repaint. I'll smudge a line, repaint... smudge... find more "white" space. And it's only 6 by 6 inches!

I have more painting to do oh, and, I dislike the colors of red and yellow greatly but I wanted bright vibrant colors with the silver, copper, and gold. And the black outlines which I did before adding any other color. One day I just want to catch up to Grandma Moses! (I just hope it's not in death that I catch her!) I would greatly appreciate hints on getting the color from my brush onto the clayboard. I think the straight lines will come. I'm getting better. My hands can be very, very still so as long as I continue practicing. Any insights into painting with metallic also appreciated. It seemed much more difficult to get the color to follow the brush then with the straight colors.
And I trust ya, c&c welcome if done in a non murderous way!

(It's supposed to be a Livingroom)

* edit-(One thing, before you say it, I do know everything appears tipped forward. It took me about a month getting perspective going and now I've been playing with it. One video looked so incredibly boring showing 2 pt perspective in a furnished living room. The furniture appeared to be made from concrete so I decided I was going to make a living room with uncomfortable furniture that just slid everyone to the floor. I'll do a full sketch in correct perspective if needed! I swear! I can do it! But rules are SO boring! Except when fines are involved. Or rewards! Will sketch for rewards! (Or Promise Margarine but only Carol will get that one.)

Sheila

-Helen Keller

Last edited by RoadLessTaken : 07-24-2019 at 10:03 PM.
  #354   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by J14CCY

Thanks

Russ

I can always tell when someone is painting a dog they like. There is a caring patience in doing the lines and the eyes especially.

I've had to turn down a few commissions on dogs and or cats because I didn't feel a connection. I did a cat for a man on the internet. The cat had died and he only had one photo for me to work from. I didn't feel it and ultimately I only charged him shipping.

I can tell you like this dog, his owner, and your work.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #355   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Cavalry at Gettysburg

I haven't done much acrylic painting lately. I have a project I'm supposed to be working on...but it's not due until the fall.

I've also been experimenting with watercolors (and have been posting some stuff in the WC forum) but don't want to let my acrylic skills get stale.

I started this Civil War scene this morning. I didn't carefully draw...I just started painting and trusting my instincts. I'm using various references but the scene is somewhat directly from my imagination.

It's Buford's Cavalry on Day one of the battle. Lots more work on this one yet, but it's off to a good start.

C&C please! If you see any perspective/proportion/setting issues, please chime in. 18x24 on canvas.

Thomas
  #356   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

MUCH better legs on this one!.
Jim
  #357   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskip
MUCH better legs on this one!.
Jim

Thanks. The comment made sense to me, so when I decided to do this again...

Here's where I'm going with it. I'm painting it to look like the area between Herr's ridge and seminar ridge - an area where the Cavalry was skirmishing on 1 July. I might put some horses and handlers in the background, too.

Second guy from left...his head might be touch too big.

#358   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM

WIP, Lawson's Dairy from a picture. This is my Godparent's farm. I see them at the end of August, and I'm asking their grand-daughter (My god daughter) to help make a frame for the painting using a board from the barn as a project she and I can do together.

The barn is actually on a bit more of a hill than I've indicated. I think I'll add a barbed wire fence to suggest more depth, but willing to take other ideas. I feel like the painting is a little flat.
  #359   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

This is where I am with my skyline. The bright pink, gold, and blue are underpainting.

I cannot work on this daily as it takes a very steady hand but I've been working from bottom up. First it was blocking off areas and then adding the detail I wanted, then going back, making lines straighter, shadows more apparent. Then I'd outline the next building and wait a few days for me to consider if that new building is sized correctly for the rest of the piece. Then return to the first building and do more window panes, more shadows, redo a wall. Sometimes I look at this line of buildings from outside and try to determine which building should appear strongest and dominate the piece. Different days the clouds reflect differently on the facades of the buildings. I'm positive that the builders want to say their building is the strongest, most worthy but I view buildings in a more anthropological way- which building offers most to the community.

And, of course, the colors from "My Pretty Pony" but they will not be there on the finished piece. And the back buildings will be bigger... some bigger than how they appear IRL...... it's my toy and I'll play how I like to! (I've also been going back and straightening lines later. Something I had not tried before. But I am enjoying doing the small details calmly and slowly.)

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #360   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTaken

This piece accidentally got cooked in the microwave. Some may even be relieved! If you use your microwave for storage, take everything out before making popcorn!

Sheila

-Helen Keller