WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:06 PM

A Couple of Cambrian Critters

Hello Pen and Ink forum,

I have with me today a couple of my pieces I've done depicting fauna from the Cambrian period, which is a recurring subject for me. I'd love some critique on these if possible, as I really would like to improve my craft!

Anyway, here they are. The first is based on Anomalocaris, the second is based on Aysheaia.

Thanks for looking!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States
Re: A Couple of Cambrian Critters

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting subject matter. Glad they are extinct. Nice cross-hatching for shaded areas.
Bill

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hi & welcome to the P&I forum!
In the top drawing it would look better if the skull were separated from the outline of the body of the main creature & arranged in such a way to complement the overall composition of the drawing. Umm.... perhaps top left & tilted to the same angle as it is in the whole body , just to make things clear & return the power to the outline of the creature.

Talking now about that main whale? thing! picture - you have used three shading techniques - wash, cross hatching & stippling. This practice is dodgy & is very rarely used However you have pulled it off !
The risk with using the three techniques together is that you risk failing to balance the degree of finish in any one of the shading techniques - the drawing wouldn't work at all !
I mean by that, if you had done the wash part with lots of varying degrees of tone & made it much more subtle than the tones of the cross hatching or stippling -the drawing just wouldn't have hung together.The same is true of all the three techniques. But it does work ! because they are all balanced in the degree of finish. Well .... I would have liked the crosshatching part to be done a bit neater & with a finer pen in a perfect world .
The skull at the bottom is fine.
Kind of brave & interesting approach & subject matter too !
Cheers Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 01-17-2019 at 08:07 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome here!
Very interesting subject matter but I'm unclear as to whether you're attempting to be faithful to their skeletons or putting form and flesh on them!!

In the first I feel you've given a lot of attention to the left end (stippling, well done) but not much to the head, which looks disconnected!
The second has some good hatching describing form/flesh but not sure of the zigzag at the tail!
Overall, they're pretty good in shape and use of the pen, just need to think a little more about what you want to achieve ...... do more and share!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**