Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Still life with glass and water

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Haven’t posted lately, but here’s one that seemed like a good idea at the time. I tried to render glass and water in pen and ink only, then decided to apply some wash to see what happened – oh well – it isn’t written in stone every one turns out!

Comments and suggestions always welcome of course.
    John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

Anonymous

Glass in pen & ink:eek:
        I’ve seen it done extremely well back in the 20’s & 30s when P&I was the top earning art, commercially speaking.
        To get the contrasts & reflections etc. they would often turn to using a totally black background, not an imitation of scratch board you understand but more a clever marriage of scratch board & P&I techniques.
        I think your drawing works very well in most part , especially on the glasses .:clap:
        Mike

indraneel

I think I like it before the wash, a lot! Glad you got the photo.

I like both versions John – the first has drama becasue of the contrasts, the second is more subdued, but equally valid.
            You certainly chose an extremely difficult subject for the medium!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Michael

I like the one with the wash better.

Even looking at glass objects in real life it’s hard to see the ‘logic’ in what you’re seeing; sometimes the distortions look so bizarre and counter-intuitive. To then try and render what you see in an art piece in a way that looks convincing to the viewer is challenging to say the least.

Anyway, very cool work!

Michael
                https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/24-Sep-2010/99382-
                website ,instagram

laika

I like the wash version. The first one strikes me as very stark and graphic, almost abstract in parts. The wash sort of softens it and brings it into focus for what it is. Interesting.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                    - Otto Rank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.