WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Selling prints of my artógeneral advice?

There must be threads here on this but I couldnít find anyÖ.
Want to try selling some signed limited edition prints of my work on ebay/social media/websiteÖ Any advice on printing, pricing and promoting would be welcome. New to this
300dpi I believe is best for printing. can you get away with 150dpi for larger prints?
I read about prints on Ďacid free paperí
I was thinking to do a fairly large edition (i.e. around 500) for each painting. I know large editions makes them less valuable to collectors but at least you wonít be kicking yourself for only doing 20 if they sell quickly.
Pricing. at 300dpi I think most of my prints will be no larger than around 15x18 inches. Not sure about pricing for theseÖ Any general advice would be welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:37 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Selling prints of my artógeneral advice?

Unless you are an known and acknowledged world master of painting, the idea of "signed limited edition prints" doesn't fool anyone in these days of giclee and ink-jet printers. A print is just a print, no more, and no less. And a run of 500 as a "signed limited edition prints" is a joke.

For pricing look at the various POD web sites to find posted prices of paintings of similar quality to your work. Fineartamerica.com is one POD site you can check out.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

It's not about fooling people. People want signed, limited-edition giclee prints. Stone litho prints are limited for arbitrary reasons and it is not like they take the stone out in the yard and smash it up with a hammer when they reach the limit. IMO, though, 500 is way too many to be considered "limited edition." I'm thinking max 150, although I personally do not sell my stuff in limited editions because I just think it's silly. If you are printing them yourself, signed is already added value. I also say that I color-check the print with the original, which I do, which is value added compared to having them drop-shipped from a POD place.

The absolute rock-bottom for dpi is 200. I consider this cheap poster print dpi. I ordered one of my own from a POD place and I did not like it--colors were dim. I print mine at 600 dpi and am considering 300 dpi for very small watercolors that I want to double in area and that I scanned at 600 dpi.

Paper choice makes a huge difference. I found for me it is worth it to pay twice as much for Epson paper to use in my Epson printer. Colors are rich and paper is thicker.

For pricing, best thing is to look at what other people are selling theirs for and in what venue. You can get one price off your own site, another from ebay, another from Etsy, etc. I have also seen artists asking really high prices for their prints; I guess they are much better known than I am, although I have never heard of them.

For sales, I have made only about 10% off prints relative to originals. But it could be the venues I have been selling in. I am in the process of opening a shop on Amazon to sell prints and hope that might increase the volume.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

"...I personally do not sell my stuff in limited editions because I just think it's silly. If you are printing them yourself, signed is already added value...."

Yep, I agree. "Limited edition" prints meant something in the days of pulling individual prints, one at a time. With the advent of ink-jet printers, which can print 1 or a 1,000 prints and they are all the same quality, "limited edition" has simply become a marketing term to increase the prices of prints which are of the same quality as "non-limited" edition prints. The prints are all the same, and every experienced purchaser of prints knows it.

Every print can be personally signed and dated, which is quick and easy to do.

I agree about the printing resolution. Higher is better.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
It's not about fooling people. People want signed, limited-edition giclee prints.

To make money, you have to give the people what they want, even if you think the people are stupid.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lion
To make money, you have to give the people what they want, even if you think the people are stupid.

You also have, if you want to maintain your integrity, to make sure you tell them what they are actually getting, as opposed to what they think they are getting.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks for your feedback Virgil, Harold, Michael and Ian Ö sounds like having limited edition prints is only for very well established artists from what you are saying. I was under the impression that any tom dick or harry artists do limited edsÖ. I do agree with you that the main interest will probably be that it has an original signature by the artist so perhaps I will dispense with the ďlimitedĒ.
As far as color-checking is concerned, I often find after I have worked on an image in photoshop that it looks better than the original (and other times its hard to get it looking as good as the original) I suspect a lot of posters of Van Goghs, picassos, Monets etc are spiced up considerably before printing. I guess a little image enhancing is acceptable as long as it doesnít make it look like a completely different painting.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I don't think you have to be famous to sell limited editions. I think it's a marketing choice, one that I do not make for myself. I don't agree that it "means" something special. Limited editions are usually screen prints printed by a huge printer, not by some old man pulling prints off a hand press and a stone. So they are limited by one thing--the artist's word. Nothing else. Don't trust your artist not to run over the edition amount? Don't buy from that artist. Period. Buying art for an investment? You have to be well informed to invest, so don't come crying to anyone about how you didn't know nothin' 'bout no limited editions.

If you want to add value, there are various ways to do it--ink, paper, printer, attention to detail, signature, etc.

Personally, I do try to make my prints match my paintings as much as I possibly can. This is kind of a pain, but since I have my own printer, I can make the prints and adjust the color to the original painting on hand. I make a print file as soon as I finish a painting and photograph it for my site, before it gets any varnish. I don't manipulate the colors or whatever in any other way. Thing is you can never tell how it looks on someone else's monitor. For me, knowing that the print matches the painting is a kind of gold standard.

I have thought of modifying print files when I was not intending to sell the original or when I was creating works that were primarily digital. There's an artist I came across who does this wonderfully. She does watercolors, which are mostly mediocre EXCEPT the prints that are the results of her combining various textures of one painting with another. These are rich and complex images. The color has been manipulated, but they are definitely art. I tried it and it is way harder than it looks. If I were doing that kind of art, and I might, then I would think nothing of manipulating the color in ways that varied from the original. But I would not be selling the original then.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

A very important thing regarding color, brightness, etc is to make sure your print matches your image online. That is what they are expecting to receive.

Another value add is to provide a mat. Of course, you would need to charge double at least what you get for a mat, but I can see it as a really good option.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think it's possible to match the print color to what a person sees online, different computers, monitors, etc. will render color differently. I know that some colors on my tablet look way different than when I view them on my laptop.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by webart
I don't think it's possible to match the print color to what a person sees online, different computers, monitors, etc. will render color differently. I know that some colors on my tablet look way different than when I view them on my laptop.

Even if you match your own monitor to your own printer, the colours will drift. I reset my monitor every 4-6 weeks.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Selling prints is a good way to make money from your art. For those who cannot afford an original, prints are a good, economical option.

I have been selling prints for over 20 years. Since you asked, I am happy to pass along the following advice.

First and foremost you should have a world class product. You will be competing with every other artist out there trying to make a buck. You are also competing with the large art houses that are selling images dirt cheap. You want people to specifically want what you are selling. I visited your website and Facebook pages. It looks like you have mastered your craft; your product is very good so I think you are set for my second point -

Know the market to which you are selling. Who are you targeting? What type of buyer is purchasing your art? What drives them to pick your art over any other? You need to know where to focus your energy. It will help you pick the right price point as well as market your work.

I am assuming you are talking about giclee prints and not lithographs. Find a good printer with whom you are comfortable working. 300 dpi is the minimum acceptable file resolution for quality prints. I know you mentioned limited editions but why not just do open editions? Price them right and sell them for as long as you like. Definitely use acid-free paper. You don't want to start getting communications from customers after a few years that their print is deteriorating.

Make it easy for clients to buy your work through your website. They should be able to purchase a print immediately by clicking a button. Art is often an impulse buy made based on an immediate feeling the viewer gets when first viewing the work. If you require them to have to contact you first for a price then you have already lost most buyers. They will just buy a cheap print at art.com.

Set up an actual ebay store so your stuff will be seen on a consistent basis. It is worth the small monthly fee to have a store. Advertise wisely and within your budget. There is no one magical ad that will generate hundreds of sales or drive millions of buyers to your website.

Don't neglect the wholesale market. There are thousand os frame shops out there that all sell prints. Contact them to see if they are interested in cataloging your work. You can generate a nice base income from prints that way.

Good luck.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

The only time I sell prints is with FineArtAmerica print on demand and only when a buyer requests a print from a particular original they want a different size of (I never paint two things the same!). I upload my image, then they do all the size selection, etc. FAA pays me. I don't advertise this either because I only want to sell originals.

C & C always welcome!