Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink How can I improve my art?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    inter_astra

Hello. I’m new to WetCanvas, so I hope I’m putting this in the right place. Anyway, I have been working on a new style for my art. I use black gel pens and a mechanical pencil. I have been having some trouble with my art lately. I love doing it, but I always hate my finished work. I’m not a very good self-critic, but there seems to be something wrong with my art. I can’t figure out what it is. In any case, I think my style needs a lot of improvement. So can anyone tell me how I can improve my art? What’s good about my art, and what’s bad about it? Should I even continue with this style?

Anonymous

Well I’ve been practicing various aspects of art seriously for over 30 years & cannot answer that question for you !
            BUT I can tell you where the answer lies, it is within yourself & only within yourself .
            What you’ve got to understand is that “good art” by which I mean- Genuine creative art comes from inside yourself & from nowhere else.
            Many really famous artists lived life as really poor people – they never even sold a piece in their whole life ! BUT NOW they are appreciated as one of the best artists who ever lived ! Like Van Gogh for instance.
            The lesson that this must teach us is to follow our own feelings about what we personally feel is good art & what isn’t, disregard fashion & the current popular “in thing” & what anybody else thinks about our your art.
            Go you own way regardless of what other people say.
            But how do you find your own way ? I hear you cry.

BY LOOKING AT LOADS OF DIFFERENT ARTISTS & SEEING WHAT ART REALLY INSPIRES YOU.
            Copy it, or bits of it very carefully. You can absorb some of the spirit of the original artist in this way.
            Not of course that you wish to become a clone of that artist but you can learn from the artists that inspire you & slowly without rushing it or becoming impatient find & develop your own style without even being aware of it.
            Never worry about your style, it develops by itself & shouldn’t be interfered with by you !

This requires hard work & patience but I promise you it can be done.
            What is surprising is the work doesn’t even seem hard because you are inspired & that gives the energy & enthusiasm to push ahead.
            So start by finding the art that really inspires you, & follow your own heart.
            Oh one more thing , remember the three golden rules of art –
            Practice, practice, & practice some more !
            All the best , Mike

mbankhead

How can you Improve? well, that really would depend on what it is that you’re trying to accomplish. Your style that you show here is fantastically whimsical and imaginative. I can see these being illustrations in any child’s book. but they lack any sort of realism, and are rather two dimensional.

As has been mentioned, it can take years of practice to hone the skills needed to create masterpieces, even with all the talent. You are absolutely well on your way to that, keep at it, but the most important thing I would stress is to have fun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mark.
                -Don't sweat the small stuff...

The first two posters are absolutely right!:)

Do – look at other works to find out what you like
                —- ask yourself why you like it – do the shapes appeal? is the colours that attract?…. is it deceptively ‘simple’ in design? … is it realistic, impressionistic or abstract … or a mixture?

If you were to copy a piece to learn from it, how would you set about doing it?

Have you tried a variety of mediums and do you then favour one above all others?

What do you wish to achieve from making art?

What is the over-riding feeling inside you when you pick up a pen/pencil/brush?

Try to answer these questions and you’ll understand what we all go through!:)

Good luck!

PS – with these pieces, because they are illustrative rather than realistic and because they don’t really (not designed to) explore the medium of pen and ink, try posting the work over in Illustration or Abstract/Contemporary.:)

Use the Forum Jump at the bottom of the page to find all the forums listed there.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

I tend to agree with the replies you received, especially Mike’s comments about good art coming from within. It may sound complacent for those of us who have been doing this for a lifetime, either professionally or in retirement, but it’s one of those cliches that is so true. Learning to play the piano, the violin, or any creative endeavour is a learned skill. Same goes for ice skating, sailing or surfing. There are few short cuts. Practice, practice, practice. The learning curve is slow and often frustrating, but you learn by doing. I’m relatively new to pen and ink, (see my username) but I watch, learn, post my pieces, and try to incorporate what pleases me and what seems to improve my work.

The pieces you submitted are not really pen and ink in the sense that most of us define it, but you obviously have a penchant for the whimsical and semi-abstract. Check back through past postings on this site and you will find many examples of your style that fall into the traditional pen and ink format. Buy, or borrow, instructional books on pen and ink, and copy exactly pieces those which please you. The act of copying will acquaint you with how it’s done, and over time you will find your own style will begin to dominate. Take any courses being offered in your area, as hands-on instruction is priceless.
                Good luck,
                John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.