WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Gallery and facebbook questions

Hello everyone. I am completely thrilled to have a painting in a local art gallery for the first time. The owner is a very prominent extremely successful artist, the most well known artist in my area. I have to keep pinching myself that he was interested in having one of my paintings in his gallery.

The gallery manager asked me if I was okay with them promoting me on social media. I said of course and I would also promote heavily on social media. A facebook page is how I got going selling paintings. So my question is, I'm getting ready to post my painting and a photo and address of the gallery on facebook, but is it acceptable to tag the gallery or have a link to the gallery in my post? If I do that, people can click on the link to get to the gallery facebook page. I would think they would want that but I don't want to make any mistakes so they don't keep me.

Also, is it okay to continue to sell my very simple small paintings for way way lower price than the gallery painting? They are not comparable in time or price of materials required and that is very obvious from looking at them. The gallery framed my painting and none of my other ones are framed and they are completely different. I won't sell any paintings myself that are even remotely the same as the gallery one.

Thanks for any advice.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Gallery and facebbook questions

I would think the gallery would like to have any added free publicity and linking to their page or site should be a plus for both you and it.. the best way to know for sure is ask the gallery..
If they are just showing one of your works, then I see no conflict of selling other works of yours at any price you choose.. If you have a contract with them , that topic should be covered in the paperwork..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

If you have good raport with the gallery I would ask them your questions.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Every - what I will call "professional" gallery I work with has exclusivity wording in the contract all artists must sign when giving them work to sell. Most of them state that the artist cannot sell their work within X miles of that gallery. If you didn't sign anything, I would go with what has already been posted, ask them their thoughts on what you want to do. I am assuming you don't want to do anything that might jeopardize your future with them.

Regardless of what they say about your questions, having a wide range of pricing for similar works isn't a big deal for a beginning artist, but once you have established a following and your work is hanging in highly regarded galleries, you should not be selling similar works for less in some locations and more in others. This confuses the potential buyers and can cause some problems with galleries. It is considered unprofessional by many in the gallery world to openly offer two or more different pricing tiers. If you want to be taken seriously by other galleries in the future, you should price similar paintings at the same price level, regardless of where they are hanging. This usually means pricing all work for the highest priced location.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Hanoi

Hails from Viet Nam

Linking to the gallery's page is good for them. And yeah, you should ask them for permission first
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

Just one question...you said they framed your artwork. If it doesn't sell and they ask you to remove it, will they charge you for their framing? A gallery should have a contract when accepting artwork with the particulars addressed.