Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Latest Painting "making plans for the weekend"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Happy Monday Dear Artist friends,

I’m back in this forum after a few years, please feel free to comment on this work, I worked on this painting for 3 days so far last week, I’m not sure if I should continue to work on it or leave it , its Oil on wood , 24×20″, and it’s influenced by my visits to Venice Beach any advice I would appreciate it, and feel free to check my other work that I’ve done to compare with what I’m doing now…and If i may I have a question about Toned grounds below…

Toned Oil grounds Question, is using a N5 or N6 Value Toned Ground safe ? so that the painting will not tend to go too dark with time , I’ve read that with time the painting will tend to get darker with toned grounds, how dark can you do them?…some artists prefer to work on a white canvas because it keeps the brightness of the colors and values, Ive worked on toned and white oil grounds and I’ve always wondered what is the best way to do this, any advice I would greatly appreciate it, thank you :):wave: :cat:

Paul
    http://www.instagram.com/paultorrescom

Paul Torres

yolkworm

please feel free to comment on this work

Don’t care for the “airbrushed” background; it looks like a product illustration (for ice cream, maybe :). I think the women’s bodies need more modeling — you’ve started to do some on their faces, keep it up.

toned grounds, how dark can you do them

Check out some Rembrandt portraits :)

No skill, no art.

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it👌👍

Paul Torres

yolkworm

Sure, and incidentally, the “illustration” remark was not intended to be an insult — that’s how Edward Hopper and many others started :)

No skill, no art.

Thanks @yolkworm I appreciate the message , no worries, I like Illustration, I started learning illustration back in 81 at the otis Parsons because I couldn’t find figurative classes with any other major, also I took a lot of private workshops with renown artists like Daniel Green etc..but it wasn’t easy to get that kind of insruction back then👌

Paul Torres

123harry

This picture is complete as it is. The style with its fairly flat colours suits the subjects whose postures are well captured. You also convey the feeling of bright sunlight in spite of the generally dark tone.
                The only real crit I’d have is that the crop is too close to the lady’s feet, it makes the composition a bit cramped. It might also have been better to carry on the lower background to a faint outline of horizon, sea, buildings whatever but overall l I think it works well.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

Thank you for the feedback @123harry it’s much appreciated!!👍🙏😎

Paul Torres

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.