WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Re: People want to buy my art but I dont know how to price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil carter
"...16 by 12 inches..."

Your price of $33 is less than $0.18 per square inch. That's cheaper than floor tile...are you sure you're in the right field of endeavor?

Sling paint,
Virgil

Well, I am willing to start low to get paintings out there and eventually increase the prices. Also I wanted to see if I am even able to sell this at 33 dollars as an experiment.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

If you make what you are selling too cheap, people get suspicious. They think there is something wrong with it, something they might not be able to identify and other people can (and that's why it's so cheap). Most customers are insecure about what they are buying (as well as the transaction itself). If something costs more, they will believe it has more value, even though cost and value have nothing to do with each other.

When I started out in retail, I was selling something for $2.50/ea. Another merchant was selling the same thing for $28/ea. The actual cost of the thing was a few cents. Even though mine was so much cheaper, the guy selling for the ridiculous price had way more customers. I couldn't understand why. Finally one day someone called to ask about the thing: why was it so cheap when Store X had it for so much more? I said that's already a good profit for me. The customer said that he thought it meant I was a fraud and that there was something seriously wrong with the product.

I've encountered the same reaction in other venues as well. So if your paintings don't sell for $33, don't be surprised. Heck, don't be surprised if people want to bargain you down to $10, because they will think the thing has no real value.

Just my experience.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

If your art doesn't sell at a cheap price, try doubling or tripling the price and see what happens.

What do you have to lose?

And as a wise person said on this forum, "remember you aren't selling flooring supplies!"

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If your art doesn't sell at a cheap price, try doubling or tripling the price and see what happens.

What do you have to lose?

And as a wise person said on this forum, "remember you aren't selling flooring supplies!"

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil

Thanks! I am going to try and double my price.

Last edited by Blue Artist : 05-20-2018 at 10:35 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Now, this is a topic that gets answers from all points of the compass - some simple and some so complex one needs a doctorate in economics to understand.

However, if one does not know how much they want to make no method will work. It's like going on vacation - if one doesn't know where they are going, it is doubtful they will arrive.

The simplest method to understand and implement is to charge by the hour or other unit of time (days, weeks, etc.). Let's say one is creating an oil painting:
  1. Add up all costs for the work - materials, overhead, equipment, etc. - using standard accounting procedures.
  2. To costs add the hourly (or daily, etc.) rate multiplied by the hours expended to create the work.
  3. The total is what to charge for the work.

Costs: $15.00
Time spent: 2 hours X $25/hour = $50.00
Price of piece: $65.00

The variable is almost always what the artist's time and effort are worth to the buyers.. Be ready to adjust the asking price no matter what method is used to determine the final selling price.

Last comment: Unless one is a corporation (at least in the US) an artist never makes profit. The difference between costs and selling price is personal income
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

"...The simplest method to understand and implement is to charge by the hour or other unit of time..."

This category of answer always comes up in any discussion of how to price paintings.

It's a nonsensical answer!

Painting is not about being an automotive mechanic. It's not about laying carpet. It's not about roofing repair. Time and materials have nothing to do with painting.

Why?

Because the only thing which truly matters about a painting is...the finished painting. Said differently, the only thing which matter about a painting is the quality of the finished painting.

It doesn't matter a whit if one used 6 or 60 tubes of paint. It doesn't matter a whit if one took 30 minutes, 30 hours or 30 days to complete the painting. None of that matters.

What matters is the finished design and quality of the work.

After that, one must consider the market in which one is selling and the selling (and buying) price for work of a similar size and quality. Picasso commands one price for a 22 X 30 painting; a mature painter commands another (lesser) price for a 22 X 30 painting; and a beginner painter commands yet another (even lesser) price for a 22 X 30 painting.

If one want to understand pricing for paintings, one need to understand the painting world and the purchasing world.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmshood5
I just say "Make an offer" and go from there.
This is what I'm about ready to do.

Unfortunately I gotta deliver to a gallery next week and they will need firm prices for the display. :/
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Artist
Thanks for the input guys, I put one of my paintings up for 33 dollars but I got no buyers yet. I wonder if there is something wrong with the painting?

https://i.gyazo.com/3ac7d73cd4df39c4...5bf486085e.png
Think of all the boxes that have to be ticked before someone buys a painting.

First they have to SEE it.
Then they have to like it.
THen they have to REALLY like it.
Then they have to have a place to hang it,
if it is the right colors
if it is the right size.
their spouse has to like it.
they need it right away.
they haven't seen others better, cheaper
they have the money to spend
it's a hassle-free purchase.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
"...The simplest method to understand and implement is to charge by the hour or other unit of time..."

This category of answer always comes up in any discussion of how to price paintings.

It's a nonsensical answer!

Painting is not about being an automotive mechanic. It's not about laying carpet. It's not about roofing repair. Time and materials have nothing to do with painting.

Why?

Because the only thing which truly matters about a painting is...the finished painting. Said differently, the only thing which matter about a painting is the quality of the finished painting.

It doesn't matter a whit if one used 6 or 60 tubes of paint. It doesn't matter a whit if one took 30 minutes, 30 hours or 30 days to complete the painting. None of that matters.

What matters is the finished design and quality of the work.

After that, one must consider the market in which one is selling and the selling (and buying) price for work of a similar size and quality. Picasso commands one price for a 22 X 30 painting; a mature painter commands another (lesser) price for a 22 X 30 painting; and a beginner painter commands yet another (even lesser) price for a 22 X 30 painting.

If one want to understand pricing for paintings, one need to understand the painting world and the purchasing world.

Sling paint,
Virgil

I worked in the steel industry - in an integrated steel mill - for 25 years. The only thing that counts is whether or not the steel going out the gate meets the customer's specifications and expectations. But one can bet their last farthing that pricing it takes into account labor, materials, overhead,etc.

That is true for any commerce - artistic or otherwise. Sometimes a work of art is more appealing to some people than a bar or coil of steel, and at the same time a coil of cold-rolled steel is more appealing than a painting to the users and purchasers of that steel. Or automobiles, a house or other building (there are many buildings around the world considered works of art) or any other commodity.

You price your work the way you want. If you have a method you want to share with OP, share it, but don't knock what you apparently know nothing about. Keep on track of the original post, not pretending your way is the only way and vociferously disagreeing with anyone whose opinion you don't like.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

I one wants to treat and price one's art like a commodity, i.e., 2 pounds of salami, by all means do so.

But, for any early painters who may be following this thread, keep in mind that your artwork is a creative, one-of-a-kind endeavor, and not a mass produced product stocked in a warehouse or a shelf.

Decide for yourself how you will position yourself and your work in the marketplace.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Think of all the boxes that have to be ticked before someone buys a painting.

First they have to SEE it.
Then they have to like it.
THen they have to REALLY like it.
Then they have to have a place to hang it,
if it is the right colors
if it is the right size.
their spouse has to like it.
they need it right away.
they haven't seen others better, cheaper
they have the money to spend
it's a hassle-free purchase.
Great post. You are so right.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Hanoi

Hails from Viet Nam

Pricing right is always a headache question
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States

It's always difficult to decide on price. When I was vending at powwows, we'd all walk around each other's booths and if we saw something in another booth we just couldn't live without, we'd wait till the end of the powwow and then all the vendors would trade and bargain and swap stuff. It's really great fun.

My attitude has always gone like this---would you rather sell one item for a million bucks or would you rather sell a million items for a dollar. Which do you think you're most likely going to sell a million of?

I'm not saying to sell your stuff super cheap. Just food for thought is why I say it to people wanting to sell things. The person who said pricing is a headache is absolutely right, but what I suggest is that you set a price and offer it at that for awhile, but if it doesn't sell, then lower the price somewhat. Never go below what's fair for you, but be willing to dicker somewhat on the price. And don't be totally against either a part exchange or outright value for value trade if that happens to come up. If you put a price on your items that seems a bit high, just go ahead and let it sit on offer for awhile because you very well could get that price given time. Nothing is going to sell immediately, usually, unless it's a commission.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

At the very beginning, don't worry too much about pricing. I would just look at the hours I took to do it, and the materials I used. The point is, you don't want your friend to say, worst case scenario, "____is a really good artist, but when I offered to buy one of his/her pieces, he gave me this whole run-around about price, and It was boorish and I would not recommend trying to buy anything from him/her."

I would say the first goal is to gather a customer base, and to do that, you sometimes have to discount your work. Yes. I am serious.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

A lot of how you price your art depends on the art itself, the medium in which you work and how accomplished you are at your craft. Do you have any work you can show us? Beginner work will naturally be priced fairly low. An accomplished artist with an established portfolio of quality work will get more. You sell art for what people will pay. Put a price on it and see what happens.