Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists A shoutout to my new scanner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure where to put this, but I just wanted to share.
    I am probably way out of date, but I got a new scanner for Christmas, and I’m just so happy with it that I wanted to share incase anyone else was looking for one. Note that I still don’t think it would work well on glossy surfaces, unfortunately. Pastels, drawings, watercolors and matte acrylics all work great though.

I’ve been into Traditional artwork for about 1.5yrs now, although I tend to take long months breaks where I lose inspiration.. so really, I’d say several months.

I’ve tried capturing my artwork for sharing/printing throughout this whole time and it has always been a PAIN. P-A-I-N! I was very into photography before this, and I have many expensive lights and a (at the time) very expensive camera, perfect lenses for the job… and still! It was so frustrating. Why is it dark in the corner? Where is that bump coming from I don’t see if in real life. Why is is bowing outward. AHHH! I tried it on an easel, taped to the wall, outside, and it was just never “right”… and I spent as much time trying to color-correct, contrast-correct, realign and fix as I did creating it.

I looked a long time, and decided I wanted a CCD scanner, and I wanted it dedicated to only scanning. Most scanners these days are CIS. I can’t go into all the details of this (I don’t know much!) CCD is much better quality for fine-art reproduction. I didn’t have a whole lot of space or money for it so I landed on the Epson Perfection V37. A little over $100 at the time of purchase, unfortunately the bed is only 9×12 however I tend to work small so it works for me – I haven’t tried stitching large things together though I imagine it will do fine.

I also bought an extra long, 10ft cable to hook it to the PC – so I could put it somewhere way out of my way.

I’ve just been so happy every time I’ve used it. I hardly do anything to the produced image, other then rotate/crop. The colors are pretty much identical. No more guessing! No more trying to unwarp! And I can get HUGE files for reproduction! My latest painting is scanned in at 11300×8100. Here are some 100% crops:

On the last one, notice it picked up the subtle shift from blue to pink!
    All cropped from:

Instagram, Twitter:
    teatimetomorrow
    :wave:
    sandman_us

WOW! These are really great images. Thank you for sharing.

Best Wishes!

SlopBlot

excellent good scans and prints for the future!

I Hate bodily functions! :o They are such time wasters and interfere with what I am doing.

Thank you so much teatimetomorrow!  :)

I just came here to ask about scanners, and the answer was right here!

Whenever I try to scan a painting the colours turn out awfully saturated with a fiery light bursting through the paper.  It also emphasizes the contour of each little brush stroke in an unpleasant way.

The best camera at my home is my Mom’s I Pad.  Just like for you it’s such a struggle to get the right angle.  Also the paper tends to be buckled which effects the edges, and shadows can get in the way.  Everyone I’ve talked to lately seems to think that today’s cameras are better than today’s scanners, but I can’t believe that this is all together true.

I will definitely look into a CCD scanner for myself.  Thank you again for the recommendation!  :)   Your picture is lovely!

Learning to see all the colours in nature, and enjoying every moment of it! :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.