WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM

Titles Question

I’m assuming this falls under the category of “Titles are fair game.” but I want to double check using a fictitious example...

If I wanted to entitle an ongoing comic strip, “Stories of the Northwestern Tundra” and I discover via Google that someone else has published a “Stories of the Northwestern Tundra” as some sort of anthropological study/travel blog am I still clear, as per US law, to use this title?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Titles Question

I believe you are OK as far as copyright goes. If the other "Stories of the Northwestern Tundra" was trademarked you may find yourself being challenged to prove that yours is a different kind of product and will not cause confusion in the arket place as to which is which.

An anthropological study/travel blog and an ongoing comic strip are probably different enough to not be a problem.

I have seen numerous works in the marketplace with the same or very similar titles. But bear in mind that I am not a lawyer.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Per US Copyright Law: Copyright protection does not extend to titles, names, slogans or short phrases.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

You can trademark a name, which is different from copyright, but you have to be able to show that the name has not been in common use prior to your attempt to trademark it. And you usually trademark a name for a specific category, like a name you want to use for types of perfume (other people can then go ahead and trademark the same phrase for another category, like soap). Also, you are supposed to use the trademark symbol after it whenever you use the name or title or whatever from that time on to show that you are protecting your trademark. Otherwise, someone can come along and make the argument that the trademarked phrase has fallen into common use, like kleenex. Trademarking is expensive--IME, it can cost about $500 and that is without the help of a lawyer.

I have witnessed a couple of real long drawn-out battles over trademarked phrases. It is not pretty and talk about expensive.