Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Are eye level and horizon the same?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Retiree

I didn’t know quite where to post this, so I thought this might be the appropriate forum. I am still confused. I have googled this question, there seem to be varying opinions as to whether your eye level and horizon are one and the same. Could someone help me out?:confused:

Harold Roth

They aren’t the same either in life or in paintings. You can put the horizon anywhere you want in a painting. Some people like to put it high up, some in the middle, some low. Eye level is where the painting is hung. You can have a painting with a low horizon hung at eye level, etc.

La_

eye level and horizon do play together.

a horizon line helps tremendously to figure out the perspective of a work, but a horizon line doesn’t always have to be seen in the painting (it can be off canvas and still provide the help you need with perspective).

this pic may help you understand a bit more as the horizon line is off canvas with both … follow the vanishing points and you’ll find the horizon.

you might also enjoy this link about perspective

la

Retiree

They aren’t the same either in life or in paintings. You can put the horizon anywhere you want in a painting. Some people like to put it high up, some in the middle, some low. Eye level is where the painting is hung. You can have a painting with a low horizon hung at eye level, etc.

I don’t think I was very clear in my question. Please see the image below on how the eye level/horizon are perceived to be when painting.

Colorado_Ed

Sounds like you’ve kind of answered your own question.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
                        Instagram: edward_sherman

The terms horizon and eye level are used interchangeably, but this is largely wrong although standing at sea level and looking out to sea they are interchangeable.

Eye level is the line used when calculating perspective and the vanishing point is situated at the eye level.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

virgil carter

Both are terms used in linear perspective, as others have said.

They are not necessarily interchangeable, however. Eye-level, depends entirely on where the viewer of the perspective is located relative to the horizon. If the viewer is an adult human, standing on the ground, then eye-level and horizon are considered one and the same:

This is often the most “realistic” and familiar approach when working with perspective, since as humans, we are most often standing on ground level and looking at things in the distance.

On the other hand, if the viewer’s eye level is above or below the horizon, then eye-level and horizon are separate and not the same. For example, the viewer could be sitting or in a prone position. Alternatively, the viewer could be at the top of a tall ladder, looking from a high window of a building, or even in an airplane. All of these “eye-levels”, radically change what one views in a perspective:

Hope this helps!

Sling paint,
                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                            Virgil Carter
                            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Retiree

I am going to print this out, thank you, very helpful!:clap:

Retiree

eye level and horizon do play together.

a horizon line helps tremendously to figure out the perspective of a work, but a horizon line doesn’t always have to be seen in the painting (it can be off canvas and still provide the help you need with perspective).

this pic may help you understand a bit more as the horizon line is off canvas with both … follow the vanishing points and you’ll find the horizon.

you might also enjoy this link about [URL=http://www.artyfactory.com/perspective_drawing/perspective_2.html]perspective[/URL]

la

Thank you for the link!

Retiree

The terms horizon and eye level are used interchangeably, but this is largely wrong although standing at sea level and looking out to sea they are interchangeable.

Eye level is the line used when calculating perspective and the vanishing point is situated at the eye level.

Doug

Thank you as I was not aware of the above.

Retiree

Sounds like you’ve kind of answered your own question.

Well, the image is taken from a course that I am following by artist Len Hend. So I kind of assumed that this was correct. Thank you for your comment.

virgil carter

“…Eye level is the line used when calculating perspective and the vanishing point is situated at the eye level…”

No…the vanishing point(s) for one and two-point perspective are always located on the horizon line:

It’s the eye level which can vary and can change the perspective view, based on where the eye level is in relation to the horizon line. But the vanishing points (for one and two-point perspective) are always on the horizon line.

Three-point perspective opens a new door.

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil Carter

That is only true if the eye level is the same as the horizon. The public conception of “horizon” is where the sky meets the land.

If you are in a valley all horizontals on houses on the mountain slope downwards, if you are on top of a mountain all horizontals on houses in the valley slope upwards.

Doug

virgil carter

We are missing one another’s points.

I’m saying: 1) the vanishing points are always on the horizon line for 1- and 2-point perspective. There is no exception, but that horizon line may be artificial as in the case of your valley and mountain analogies (where the actual horizon line cannot be seen as in the case of the photo below), depending on the height of the viewer’s eye; 2) eye level depends on where the viewer’s eye is located in a given perspective. It could be anywhere, including above, on, or below the horizon line.

sling paint,
                                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                    Virgil Carter

Nothing wrong with that, in this example the vanishing point is shown on a line going through the heads of the people, i.e. eye level.

Doug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.