WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Canada

Hails from Canada
commission and copyright/prints etc

hello,
I had someone request a commission. The photo was by her sister. I told her I needed permission from the photographer so her sister and I contacted each other and yes, she was ok with me using the photo for a painting.
I had not planned on making prints from it (tho it would be a lovely print) but if I do think of this I would obviously contact the photographer sister again to ask that.
I was contacted by the person who commissioned the painting today, we are trying to arrange drop off of the painting but she just mentioned maybe getting prints made (I haven't replied to her yet).. I am assuming she means possibly for her family. I am just looking for some info on how to present the copyright issue.
Basically I really do not have a problem with her making a few prints to distribute to her family members (the painting has her niece in it and I think will be a loved family heirloom). She mentioned getting it scanned locally. I don't want to pay for a scan (I am thinking she is ok with paying anyhow). But then she would have the copy of the scan. Do I say something along the lines of it's ok to scan it and distribute some copies to family only and absolutely non for sale?
Any ideas?
She is a friend and a service provider of a service I get every couple months, so I want to make sure it's all ok and worked out.
sigh, I hate this legal stuff

Art is the imagination at play in the field of time. Let yourself play.
-
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: commission and copyright/prints etc

They're actually ok with me making prints myself, so I think all is cool, but still interested to know other people's thoughts or experiences. Wondering if I should have a commission sort of contract in the future.

Art is the imagination at play in the field of time. Let yourself play.
-
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: commission and copyright/prints etc

Of course you should have a written contract for a commission. Every one. Every time.

And of course, as the artist, you own the copyrights to the painting, including prints.

Much better in this situation if you make and are reimbursed for prints. Just be sure the source of the prints is high resolution and high quality, and the prints likewise. Copying on Staples copier is not the solution.

You will need a very good quality, high resolution file of the original painting and a good giclee printer in order to obtain high quality prints. If you don't have good giclee printers locally, this can be done over the Internet.

Sling paint,
virgil