WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 PM

what to paint on,

I'm trying to oil paint on cotton canvas. I am just starting out and want to paint on unstretchered canvas, but how do I prepare it. Gesso, I've been told is not strong enough to last using it all by itself. I have hide glue and have been told to use glycerin with it to make it more flexible. Then paint the Gesso on it. Would this make a better canvas surface to paint on. I had painted 10 coats of Gesso on canvas which didn't let any oil permeate the fibers of the cotton canvas and was nice to paint on.

Last edited by Matthew S-M : 10-12-2017 at 07:27 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tasmania Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: what to paint on,

I hope you're referring to acrylic gesso rather than traditional gesso!
Traditional gesso should not be painted on anything flexible.

Likewise, don't use hide glue anything flexible.
It's well known to cause cracking because it's hygroscopic, expanding and contracting with changes to atmospheric moisture.
Hide glue doen't change the surface quality of the canvas, and only stops the oil from soaking into the canvas which eventually rots it.
It was used traditionally before painting an oil based ground directly onto canvas.
These days PVA or and acrylic polymer like Golden's GAC is recommended.

If you're using an acrylic gesso, then you don't need to size the canvas with anything. Just make sure the gesso is good quality, and use at least 3 coats as that's enough to stop any oil strike-though.

It is best long term to glue your canvas to a rigid support.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 AM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark
Re: what to paint on,

I agree with Ron. Use pva, not rabbit skin. Rabbit skin is too flexible and will only help with cracking later. The best support is rigid - wood, as it expands/contracts the least. The next is canvas on stretchers with keys in place. 10 layers of gesso is excessive, you only need 3-4 max. 10 layers is just a whole bunch more oil you will need to add to your paint because of all the sink-in you will have. Make sure gesso is totally dry before painting, or sink-in will be worse; unfortunately I know from personal experience. Also I have noticed that different gessoes behave very very differently in regards to sink-in. Goldens acrylic gesso is excessively absorbent, causing much sink-in. I have a talens gesso which is thankfully not so absorbent. And I've used oil primer, which is even better.

http://www.artallison.com/