WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States
Scavenger Hunt #507 - Aug 8 - 16

Scavenger Hunt #507 Aug 8 – 16

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:
*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

***If you have some hunt sketches completed, but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary.***

Scavenger Hunt #507 - Aug 8 - 16

A bottle
A basket
A fruit
A vegetable
A flower
A landscape
A waterscape
Something related to your car
Something related to art
Something related to cooking
A seat, bench, chair or couch
A vehicle
Something from your bedroom
Something from your bathroom
Something you recently bought
Something smaller than the palm of your hand
Something larger than your head
Something sharp
Something hanging
A view inside a drawer
A view inside a closet or cabinet
Something that relaxes you
Something that energizes you
Something rectangular shaped
Something alive
Something soft

Challenge 1 – Do a still life with at least 5 of the items.
Challenge 2 – Do a blind contour drawing of 3 or more of the items.
Have fun!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #507 - Aug 8 - 16

Joan, thanks for jumping back in with both feet. Will be sketching and post when I can. We are on the road tomorrow.
Winston Churchill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joan, Fun, diverse list! Thanks for hosting.

Everyone, I've been going back over the lists since I first came here. Partly, I wanted to see Kivrin's work again. But seeng those old posts that I've avoided until now made me realize how deeply my horrible fear of being here has affected things right from the beginning.

It's my fault, always has been.

Since my efforts to deal with my extreme Wet Canvas fears have been lousy and ineffective, I'm trying to come up with a new way of handling things.

My pattern is that I miss you all, then I come back and post. But then I feel awful and ashamed and embarrassed (this is ALL internal - NEVER what anyone else has done) and I have to leave. Then I miss you and the cycle starts again.

So I thought I might just post every 2nd or 3rd list. And limit my comments to one sentence acknowledgements per person so that I don't go on wildly off-topic tangents.

The time off would give me a chance to decompress from my fears and embarrassment. (Again, it is ME, not any of you, that causes all this anxiety.) So the question is, how do I accept that about myself and deal with it more positively? I think this might be worth a try.

So how this would work now is: I will post something, feel awful for no reason, leave for a week or two or three to decompress and re-balance, and then come back.

I hope that's okay, and I'm sorry for my past words and actions which were sometimes self-centered and/or hurtful.

Note: Part of the reason I'm posting this publicly is that there might be lurkers who go through similar fears and doubts in this artistic community. I thought I would say my problems out loud in case it would help anyone else feel less alone with theirs.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Joan thanks for a great list!

Pine Cone - I for one enjoy both your art and your comments. I always learn something from your posts. Like 'Ground Swell', no way I would have guessed that was Edward Hopper. That is so untypical of him. A completely difference palette from most of his work.

Joe
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

I did something kind of fun after I wrote that "Ground Swell" post. I couldn't see yours and his side-by-side on my iPad in Safari, so I made a screenshot of the "Ground" page. That way it was effectively in a different app (my Camera Roll). That way I could push both the Safari app and the Camera Roll up, and then sort of roll back and forth from one to the other. Not a true side-by-side, but close. See how your blues compare? Your clouds? Etc.?

Most importantly, there's just an ease with your painting, yet a hint of tension from the sense of looking out from behind the foliage. Not overt though. Understated. What will happen next? Is there someone out of frame? Is a storm rolling in? Or moving off?

A most excellent and thought-provoking painting.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 08-08-2017 at 12:55 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the new list. I've jotted it down and might get to sketch new-to-me things on the road.
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! It is fun to see everyone again!

Pine Cone, I love seeing your work and enjoy reading your comments. Post and respond any way that makes you feel less anxious and more comfortable. If you are here for every hunt that is fine, and if you need time away that's fine too. Looks like I'm going to have to go hunt for the "Ground Swell" post and see what you and Joe are talking about.

Hope to get some sketching done tomorrow. Today was a busy day with plein air painting, exercise in the pool and a dinner with the Bellport Chamber of Commerce who invited me to their monthly dinner after I won their Bellport Day Poster Contest for this year. My painting was printed as a poster and sold as a fundraiser.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joan, Zowie! MAJOR congratulations! That is really special

Also, thanks so much. And here's a link to the National Gallery with that painting:

https://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/C...ge.131206.html

Edit: Joan, if you're interested, it might be fun to compare "Sun in an Empty Room" with Joe's. I know on the surface they seem completely different, but to me, the emptiness (in Joe's case, it is also "vastness") brings them together somehow. And I mean "emptiness" in a positive way. I think about emptiness every single day and have for years.

Like many, I meditate on emptiness.

But for me, there is an added dimension to emptiness because of my love of physics, cosmology, and looking up into a vast night sky.

But now I'm way off topic again.

If interested, here is a terrific post regarding "Sun in an Empty Room"...

https://thecompleatblogger.wordpress...an-empty-room/

Last edited by Pine Cone : 08-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Joan: Wow....Congrutulations ... and thanks for the new list.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 AM
north carolina

Hi All - good to be together, aiming to sketch often…..keeping free and enjoying your company

Joan - thanks for hosting….

Hi Pinecone - Hi, glad when you pop in, like to see your sketches…..I like digi ……it has so many possibilities that simple forms are simply fun

EP - Hi thår gurl - glad for your company

Ai - Hi - looking forward to your colorful , active work

Joe - Hi —pencil and watercolors and art from Florida - love it!

Basket
bottle
fruit
flower
veg

diamine Red Dragon
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Robin - Such good texture on your basket! Nice shading on all of these.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

1 - chair - ink
2 - something that energizes me (music) - watercolors and ink
3 - landscape - watercolors
4 - something alive - ink
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM
north carolina

Joan -Wow Wee!!! 4 superduper pieces....my favorite is the one of the 4 subjects at the beach.....
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Robin, thanks, and you've started this hunt off with pizzazz! Nice work on complicated shapes!

Joan, Lovely work, all. I don't know how you and JoC and others capture people likenesses in the midst of their lives. Seems impossible to me. My fav though is the gorgeous painting - "3 - landscape - watercolors." Exceptional work, and I'm curious where this was. I'd love to Google the actual garden!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for the new list👍🏼
Robin, well done on being first out, all good, the baskets my fave here, tuf subject, well handled...👍🏼
Joan, 4 lovely sketches, love your chair, nice beach goers and watercolours, the landscapes my fave, all good...👍🏼

Hi everybody else

1, something I bought recently, the little decorated elephant, it's one of three I found in a charity shops bargain box...
2, something smaller than my palm 😊

...blogspot at http://gardenartjournal.blogspot.fr