WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Sacramento

Hails from United States
Morning Walk

This is an 8x10 pastel. I feel that it needs something to give it some oomph or some mood or something. Any suggestions?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2017, 06:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Morning Walk

Maybe define the figure & dog a bit more, I almost didn't notice the dog at first..maybe the dog could be a slightly darker color against the grasses?
The figure's sunlit arm seems short if it is straight down, if bent there should be indication of elbow..
Check where your hand lands when straight by your side..
Maybe add a few more splotches of shadow on the path, so the negative spacing is less equal?
the shadow area & brightness on the path has a strong contrast- almost competes with the sunlit & darker red on figure. Maybe a bit of the soft edges vs harder edges thing too.. shadow has some harder edges than figure..
The grasses & soft loose trees are very nice..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Sacramento

Hails from United States

Thanks tj84. Very good suggestions. I'll lengthen the arm, darken the dog and soften the shadows.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Hails from United States

Your painting of Morning Walk reminds me of my own morning walks. You have really captured the essence of morning sunshine on the summer grasses. That to me is the subject of your painting rather than the figure and dog. So I like that you have subdued the figure to the environment. A lovely painting just the way it is.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Sacramento

Hails from United States

Thanks Marilyn. The grass was what caught my eye and was the intended subject, but when I got home and looked at the painting I felt that it needed something more. So I looked through the photos that I had taken while I was painting and decided to include one of the dog walkers. But the composition still wasn't working. Donna T suggested that I make one big shadow shape on the left to emphasize the sunlight. Although this has changed the focus of the painting, I think it works better compositionally and has a bit of mystery. I'll have to figure out another composition that just plays up the grasses. I think the path will have to be narrower.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

Hi, I really like your composition, your sky and the lovely aerial perspective in your far dark tree. I am too late to offer criticism you can use on this, so I am offering my thoughts, impressions, and scenario for IF you hadn't made any changes to the first posted version yet.

Your first painting's mood was quiet, subdued due to your values being very close. It felt like a very hot morning and a slow, dusty walk.
When you increased the contrasts and added the reds to the grasses, the drama rose.

I like both versions, actually and may have offered a different suggestion on the first one--to add a pop of dissonant color to increase the intensity of the overall painting while keeping the values in the original range. A hint of orange (not rust), perhaps. You were edging there with the bright yellow on the path. I probably would have suggested the pop in the light green tree at a height above the walker amd in the edge of grasses across from the walker and lower, closer to the viewer. Turquoise would have worked, too. In either case, we are talking the the meerest pinch.

I am impressed you get so much detail in such a small painting!

apagefineart.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Sacramento

Hails from United States

Thanks for the thoughtful critique, Aly.

I really admire paintings that have those little flecks of dissonant colors but I haven't been able to pull it off myself. I'm going to keep that in mind for my next paintings. I think I need to plan it from the outside rather than use it as a last-ditch effort to try to make a painting work.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprender
Thanks for the thoughtful critique, Aly.

I really admire paintings that have those little flecks of dissonant colors but I haven't been able to pull it off myself. I'm going to keep that in mind for my next paintings. I think I need to plan it from the outside rather than use it as a last-ditch effort to try to make a painting work.

Hmmm, I don't consider it a last ditch effort. I think of it like cooking -- balancing your spices right before serving. Does it need more salt? A squeeze of lemon? That said, I am much more confident about it with my cooking than I am with my painting. So there's always an element of danger. That fear factor making the adrenaline spike, and the sweet relief when it works are so satisfying!

And when it doesn't, you ask? I keep a couple of small paint brushes nearby to lift off bad ideas. Shhhh, don't tell anybody!

apagefineart.com

Last edited by artelahe : 08-02-2017 at 05:55 PM.