WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 04:30 AM
Portsmouth, England

Hails from England
Learning Quickly

Some time ago I read that Monet still regarded himself as a student at eighty-four.

I started painting about sixteen years ago, when I retired. In this order, I've struggled to quickly teach myself watercolour, acrylics, pastels, and oils and, persistently, am still struggling

The one thing I've really learned in this time is that the more you learn the more there is to learn.

I'm seventy-eight. How, when there is so much to learn and so many smart people to learn from in Wetcanvas, am I ever going to find time to practice?

Help!!!

A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle - Oneliners and Proverbs.com

Last edited by Art Leat : 05-07-2017 at 04:32 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 04:55 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Learning Quickly

Yup! Still learning

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 AM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

My question is why have you tried to learn every medium? Which one inspires you the most? Which one do you have the most enjoyment with? I think if you have fun with the medium then you will create more art and improve.

I am a beginner in my watercolour journey and couldn't imagine starting another medium...too much to learn
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Portsmouth, England

Hails from England

Exploring; just trying to find out what each had to offer.

I like oils. it is the easiest and most forgiving. Watercolour the hardest , as I'm sure you'll find

A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle - Oneliners and Proverbs.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Yes, still learning. Once you stop learning, the fun is gone.

my website: www.janpastor.com
Jan Pastor on YouTube
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Watercolor is certainly a life-journey in painting. There's always more to discover and learn.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

To make time to practice one must give up something. I think it's called prioritizing?

R/Mike
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

well.. since you refer to Monet, do you try correcting your previous paintings and learn from them what went wrong? Not asking you to go to your friends' houses, pull down your old masterpieces and start correcting them, but... what about the stash under the bed? I've found that correcting previous paintings is a very quick way to learn, as well as rid oneself of the fear of "slinging paint" on empty sheets.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 03:30 PM

@indraneel, correcting previous paintings? In watercolor, specifically, its "unforgiving" aspect is usually an artist's frustration with NOT being able to correct something later perceived as wrong. I know you can choose granulating paints and SHOULD choose proper paper, and with those two factors in place, you can erase and correct to your heart's content. But your phrasing made me wonder if it's actually easier than that. I had a micro-epiphany that said, "ANY watercolor painting can be corrected, to some degree, MAYBE - I should try going back over my old sketch pages and see what can be done." Was this a valid takeaway from your post?

(not changing the thread topic - just asking an aside, and will move on)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Kolkata

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo.potamus
Was this a valid takeaway from your post?

absolutely! but, enough with the questions already... scrap some paper and find out! There's only one way to gain experience... through experience. Trying to gain experience from an experienced person is called entertainment!

however, to clarify... most beginners are timid and paint too lightly. so, corrections usually involve adding stronger paint, rather than lifting. If stronger paint needs to be lifted to correct things, it is more likely that the painter already has some experience, so would know how and where to lift. And then the painter gains even more experience about which pieces can't be corrected and destine them for the bin... and, I guess, the cycle repeats itself...

PS: and, I did not simply speak of correcting watercolors with watercolors. Many a times, I go over them with pastel to figure out what went wrong....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM

I am discovering that sadly there is no short cut in learning watercolor...BUT wetcanvas can help tremendously. Thank you for your generosity.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 AM
Immortalized
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

I'm 81 and have been learning all my life.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Just practise. You'll see from my signature line that I believe that while I continue to make mistakes I'll be learning, and since I never expect to be perfect that's going to be a lifelong experience.

If you're not practising you're missing a learning opportunity!

Having said that I spend way too much time reading rather than doing so I do get where you're coming from .
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 03:52 AM
Kolkata

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
I'm 81 and have been learning all my life.

And here I was, about half your age, thinking that in a few years I'd complete all the lessons But then, what's life without the journey? The destination probably sucks anyway. Every tear I shed is also magic, that someone else may have never experienced.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
absolutely! but, enough with the questions already... scrap some paper and find out! There's only one way to gain experience... through experience. Trying to gain experience from an experienced person is called entertainment!

Guilty as charged. After the remainder of the day, which includes painting at every available opportunity, I do tend to wind down with something more relaxing/entertaining, which tends to include "listening to myself talk" a bit when I find the urge. Sometimes I overdo it.

But the realization, question, and answer were helpful today - went over a few old tries in my "sketchbook" and realized that, while they were beyond making "good", they were definitely capable of being made better. I'll definitely be keeping that "tool" handy in the future. Thanks for your part in that.