WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Tools and Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 PM
florida, usa

Hails from United States
help choosing oil pastel brand...

I'm an experienced artist in watercolor and acrylic and other water-based mediums and have suddenly become intrigued with the idea of oil pastels.

I want them more to paint and blend with than to draw and sketch with- I do a lot of abstract work with big shapes that have multiple colors inside them (lots of blending). I do lots of glazing in my water-based work and love granulating watercolors, but I know that glazing is not as much as an option with some oil pastels. So my focus is to really get some beautiful color blends and gradients. And maybe work with some cold wax and do some faux encaustic things (I'm not interested in going full encaustic or oil painting right now- I just want to dip my toes in that style.)

I'm tempted to get the Senneliers, simply because I have their entire range of watercolors and have been very pleased with the quality of their products and their color range. I have done research and it looks like they are the softest and "paint"iest (not a word, but not sure how else to describe it.). From what I have researched, it sounds like the Hobeins and Caran D'Aches are a big firmer and more suited to sketching and plein air/still life. But I've read some great things about the C'aran Dache and Holbeins, as well- and was wondering if they can be "painted" with as easily as the Senneliers when used with mineral spirits/turpentine/resin gels.

Like I said, I just kind of want to blend the heck out of colors and see what happens.

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: help choosing oil pastel brand...

Hi Gingerblue! Welcome to WetCanvas and to the oil pastel forum.
Senneliers is the top of the range. Using any brand you might even think of blending with solvents to give it a wc or oils look. Experiment and have fun.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 AM
florida, usa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanny
Hi Gingerblue! Welcome to WetCanvas and to the oil pastel forum.
Senneliers is the top of the range. Using any brand you might even think of blending with solvents to give it a wc or oils look. Experiment and have fun.

Thanks for the welcome! I have a box of Gallery Myungo (I think that's what it is) that I picked up a few years ago from Jerry's on a lark to see how they might work with acrylic, so maybe I'll mess with those a bit before I commit to a large purchase. I just know from experience that with certain art supplies, using artist-quality vs. non-artist quality can be like using completely different mediums. Every time I have skimped on an art supply purchase, I regret it and wind up getting the better stuff eventually after months of frustration.

The issue is I have Full Set Syndrome so forcing myself to order just a few oil pastels from different brands is like picking just ONE color to say is my favorite.

I'm eager to really explore the forum more and see what others have created.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

JMHO
Oil Pastels are extremely personal preference. I would recommend buying open stock selection of 3 to 6 Senneliers, Holbein and Caran D'Ache to see how you like the feel.
Most Artist Oil Pastels are good quality in terms of range of colors, colorfastness.
However the "feel" of the Oil Pastel differs, is hard to describe and is entirely personal. Considering the cost, I would try each brand open stock to see which hard/soft suited my particular style

Last edited by Ratchet : 02-14-2017 at 12:19 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM
florida, usa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet
JMHO
Oil Pastels are extremely personal preference. I would recommend buying open stock selection of 3 to 6 Senneliers, Holbein and Caran D'Ache to see how you like the feel.
Most Artist Oil Pastels are good quality in terms of range of colors, colorfastness.
However the "feel" of the Oil Pastel differs, is hard to describe and is entirely personal. Considering the cost, I would try each brand open stock to see which hard/soft suited my particular style

Thank you for the insight- I guess they are like watercolor that way (probably even more personal preference based). I'll go ahead and order a few different brands from online and see what sparks. I'm kind of afraid I'll wind up wanting full colors ranges from ALL the brands if the texture and oiliness is really so variable from brand to brand !
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I agree... its very individual. Senneliers may be the top of the line, but I have a full set of both those and Holbeins that I rarely use. My go to OP is neopastels when creating art to hang/frame... and portfolio or sakura in my sketchbook.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

I would start with a less-expensive brand of artist-quality oil pastels, like the Myungo Gallery Artist Softs (available in 72 colors for around $50-70 dollars) and perhaps a small set of, say, 24 Caran D'Ache Neopastels or 12 Senneliers to start out with. I would even suggest a set of the cheaper student-grade ones to begin experimenting with along with a small set of the better brands (Sennelier, Caran D'Ache, Holbein, Myungo Gallery Artist Soft, Art Aspirer Erengi) to give you a feel for what the medium is like and what you can do with it.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerblue
I'm kind of afraid I'll wind up wanting full colors ranges from ALL the brands if the texture and oiliness is really so variable from brand to brand !

Me too.

I know I want all of the artist-quality brands in all of their colors. And I want them to start making a lot more colors, as is the case with soft pastels.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Birmingham UK

Hails from England

I would second the choice of Artists Quality Premium Mungyo oil pastel. Ensure they're not the regular Mungyo, which is a different beast.
They are soft and creamy, and it won't break the bank to buy the full range.
Some peeps find the Senneliers too soft, like lipstick. I have a few Neopastels, they're great, but tiny.
If you want to experiment with student brands you can't beat the Pentel oil pastels, which are very inexpensive and surprisingly nice to work with.