WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Smile "Bell Island, NL"

Hey everyone! I am brand new to WetCanvas and am a self taught artist...been painting for about 8 years now..wanted to start posting some of my work to get some comments, tips and constructive comments. Thanks! This first painting is acrylic and oil, and is a recreation of a photograph taken in Bell Island, Newfoundland and Labrador. the person who requested me to paint the picture, lost her father a year ago and this is where they decided to spread his ashes.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States
Re: "Bell Island, NL"

Would you please post the reference photo, my hunch is that the water is far too light.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

The water appears as a water fall into a pit. There is something about the way you have painted it. Possibly it is to high on the horizon. At the horizon line it appears to dip down then back up. Definately need a reference photo to figure it out.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 12:41 PM

yes, i will post the original photograph asap..thanks!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM

original photo..please give me some tips on how i can fix it without ruining the whole thing or having to start from the beginning.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Ok, duh, now I get it. It's FOG, not water. I'd lose the strong shadow below the left cliff face.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 PM

Fog? There isn't any fog in the original picture. It is all ocean. Do you mean to brighten up the black that I have on the botton of the left cliff? Closest to the grey gravel? Should I darken the water where it meets the shore? to make it not look so waterfall like?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebhm
The water appears as a water fall into a pit. There is something about the way you have painted it. Possibly it is to high on the horizon. At the horizon line it appears to dip down then back up. Definately need a reference photo to figure it out.

Any further comments on this after I posted the original? I am stuck on how to fix this....would making the ocean all the same color without any dark/light spots help?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 PM

Lot's of nice stuff here. The sky is quite well done, there is a lot of detail you've placed in the distant rocks in the painting.

Looking at the photo, I see several areas which I think are perhaps misread, or maybe could be re-observed.

When I look at the painting I see some rather significant differences from the drawing which are detracting from the design.

I think you've truncated the cliff a bit too much which is unfortunately opening up the bay

By shortening this area so it isn't thrust so far into the water has consequences for other portions of the picture, which I get to shortly. The other half of the equation is the cliff on the right. Since you've changed the angles and it's placement you've changed the whole rhythm within the painting.

By having it drop so straight down rather than angle downwards, you've decreased the available overlap to help give depth to the painting. The maximum penetration of the water on the beach has been changed a great deal. The decrease in beach depth forces the change in the small creek leading down to the waters edge as well as the mounded sand at the base of the cliff with the sweeping curve.

This is unfortunate because the beach depth has been changed elsewhere... it is too shallow... in the photo, you have the beach in a great deal different location. This also has to do with the darks vs. the lights.

The light coming from out over the water should be blocked by the cliff face... right now, you have where should be in shadow quite bright. This decreases the availability to create contrast between the brightness of the water and the shore and the cliff. The red area shows where the cliff is being lit only by reflected light which is much less powerful and thus the cliff face should be darker.

The lighted area is located elsewhere...

The cliff is casting a shadow on the inside face, and that shadow is reinforcing the shape of the cliff which is curved inwards almost reminds me of a bell shape. Since the waves eat away at the base of the cliff this is quite common to have this shape... I see it all the time when I visit the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan - same sort of shapes all over there. The shadow has to follow the form upon which it is cast.

To get back to a point I was talking about earlier, I think decreasing the size of the cliff out in the water and the shape of the right hand cliff has implications when it comes to the rhythm shapes within this landscape.

There are all these wonderful lines available to be used here and could be used to give grace to a painting which I feel has a great deal already going for it. These graceful curves help to lend a peacefulness to the design, and in my mind make it just right to remember someone who must have been a wonderful person.

These sound all like major changes, but really they're not. A move of a bit of cliff, increasing the beach depth, and changing the right cliff shape will help. Working on the shadow vs light will give greater impact to the sky because you will have given a light source to the painting. Thinking about the rhythm will increase the unity and help to give the painting the flavor which I believe you're after. There are some great colors here, a nice color harmony, and you've shown you have the know how to place paint with delicacy and accuracy. Keep up the good work!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

d55stb,

I'm thinking that it's all about the value contrasts between things, and how that affects the painting. That's the big thing. For me, I don't think it's the ocean. The secondary thing is the structural strokes for the wave on the gravel beach, and within the wave front need to re-orient to show it's climbing the gently sloping beach. With the structural brush stokes right now, it looks like the wave front is going downward. There is also structure in the cliff bit lower right corner that is missing in the painting.... and this bit of cliff could use a bit more of a textured edge?

Here's your photo in B&W:

And here's a few comparisons:

I would leave the ocean as-is (that's just me)... only editing out most of the hi-light that is quite near where the wave breaks. The high light on the water at present contributes to the idea of form and the wave reading as dropping downward.

Note in the B&W photo how value changes describe the form of the inside of the cliff face on the left around and above the bay -- compare it in your B&W painting and the B&W photo. Note in the painting that the beach gravel may be too light, and the wet gravel in front of the wave too dark. Just suggestions. These could be contributing to the present visual effects.

Phew... I hope this helps give you some ideas. Cheers

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 10-26-2016 at 09:11 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

I had to crop & edit a bit to see it better, I see others did that too...

I see why you painted the beach wave area the way you did, per the photo.. but it is appearing to me as a downward sloping surf.
If you can flatten it out so it appears flat to viewers it would be less confusing.

Then adjust the values of the 2 cliffs so there is more distinction of a near & far distance.
As others showed make the cliff rugged and stronger all the way to the water, study on it and you will see how the lines & edges need to be..
Don't try to fix anything until you can see the lines, angles, edges clearly in your mind..
LOL that sound spacey but it works for me.. I call it my painting zone.. when it all comes together nicely, and as long as I don't bork it...by fiddling too much..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 10-26-2016 at 09:55 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

I still say it's fog.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Maryland, near Washington, DC

Hails from United States

I think that photo is a longer exposure so the waves get "smoothed out" as they move during the exposure. Makes it look soft like fog.

The water is the my main issue as well. There is a scale and depth problem there. At first I though it was a waterfall. There seems to be a lack of shading giving the water distance and scale. The piece of land on the right looks like a more distance, large cliff face. The photo shows it as very close to the camera. The far cliff face is too brightly lit where it curves away from the sun. You need some shadow in that area to give it shape. I added some shadow areas here and there. Tried to make the water "lines" more horizontal.

There is a bright spot in the water on the right which looks like a raised area in the water. I toned it down. The last thing for me is make sure to paint your cliff edges ON TOP of the water. That will help push the water back. Hope this helps a little. Pretty good effort overall. I also like the sky.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

what looks a little odd/unusual in a photo will look more odd in a painting and you've shaped it oddly, much like the photo, good job.
oils will easily adjust the light/shadow issues so be gentle and hone in the values.

unaltered visuals attached

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 AM

oh my god..THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! such amazing help... i wish I had you by my side for every painting...this helps me so much