WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Tools and Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Oil Pastel Colors, Need Some Advice

I am making home made oil pastels. I made two, a white and a sienna. The sticks work well enough I am encouraged to make more and test different fillers.

Now From the Oil Painters I need some advice:

What I need to know is what pigments? I want to buy a basic white and 3 or 4 primaries that I can mix together and/or add white to make tints and hues. A black is also handy.

The First List: Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Prussian Blue, Venetian Red or any of the earth colors. For Instance perhaps Vermillion or Naples Yellow or Indigo Blue would be better. Anyone have experience mixing primaries probably knows what mixes and what doesn't.

The Second List: Titanium White, Yellow PY 128, Red PV19, Blue PB15. I found pigments in that range as Han Yellow, Thalo Blue and Rose Magenta.

The home made Oil Pastels are still experimental and untested so I don't want to get too many pigments that may not be used but I do want enough to expand and experiment. A basic set of primaries that mixes into the color wheel of tints and hues, is that possible?

I thought Flake White, Red, Yellow lead but that doesn't mix with copper. Those are nice primaries and easy to use. The question is, does Titanium play well with other minerals such as cobalt?
Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Last edited by Ratchet : 08-29-2016 at 05:41 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Oil Pastel Colors, Need Some Advice

This sounds interesting. Titanium oxide is inert and will not react chemically to the other elements. it should lighten any color with ease. I'd like to hear what recipe you used.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

Tuscanny,

Thanks for answering! I just read some of the threads on the oil painting forum. Color is a complicated subject.

I want more control over my palette. None of my sets has a blue grey, for instance and oil pastels don't blend that well. I would like to mix the color I want, make the stick and use it.

I am using the standard bees wax and mineral oil formula. The recipe I had was too soft for my taste, half wax, half oil so I adjusted that to my taste. That is a good starting point.

It seems to need a binder. I have considered chalk or talcum. Damar resin is also mentioned on some sites where people are experimenting but I am going to try other fillers/binders first as I don't know anything about resins.

Last edited by Ratchet : 09-01-2016 at 02:18 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Looking forward to hearing more