WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States
Monthly Scumble July 2016

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

Here's a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1406379

Christine Neidhofer

Last edited by CM Neidhofer : 06-30-2016 at 10:06 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly Scumble July 2016

Purr! Thanks for starting this up. Sitting around on a holiday evening listening to distant fireworks, cats sleeping draped over things.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Ohio, the heart of....darkness

Hails from United States

Happy 4th everyone. I am chilling at work, looking up tips and tricks and whatnot for pastels. It sucks to be at work on a holiday, but holiday pay is great!

We are playing the Fireworks or Gunshots at dispatch. Lol

I wish I was home at my art desk!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2016, 12:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh yeah! Sounds like it was frustrating. I saw a lot of good fireworks on the 3d when driving home, people were setting off good ones early but no display was visible at home. Just the sounds - fireworks or gunshots - and the very very scared Australian Cattle Dog whose morning was a panic because he's scared of thunder and evening the same because fireworks/gunshots sound like thunder. Very scaredy-cat dog. All cats were completely unimpressed and just relaxed.

Ari has his anniversary tomorrow, of the day we met. He was just six weeks old on July 6th and fit in one hand, purring and squeaking. He fell asleep in my hand, our first hour together was spent with my not wanting to move my hand because this tiny trusting fluff ball was snoring in it. Now he's much bigger but still likes to sleep laying on me.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hi All. Its been awhile since I've had time to post here. On June 12 my husband and I boarded a cruise ship to go to Alaska to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. This is our third time going to Alaska, but it seemed safer to go there than on the previously scheduled cruise that started in Amsterdam then went around British Isles and Ireland before heading back to Amsterdam. The bombing at the Brussels airport happen the week before we were to make our final payment for the cruise. After hearing our state department say if you are planning on traveling in Europe this year don't cancel your plans, but travel in groups and be aware of your surroundings. Well duh! That certainly didn't help the people in the Brussels airport!!! The weather in Alaska was very nice; with the exception of Katchekan; but it is always raining there so no big surprise. I used that day to get a marvelous massage, and my husband went zip lining; we were both happy with our choices. We went on two marine animal watches; one in Juneau and one in Sitka. Both were highly successful in that we say humpbacked whales, sea lions, sea otters, and a harbor seal; not to mention lots of eagles and other sea birds. We came back relaxed, and our fur kids were happy to have us home. I tried to download a picture of a whale tail as it was diving, but it won't attach from the computer or dvd. I don't know if the problem is WC or this #!*! Windows 10; have I mentioned how much I dislike intensely Windows 10?! That's one reason I've not been posting images in the gallery.

I must say July 4 is my least favorite holiday; always has been and always will. Even as a kid I hated the noise of the firecrackers. I like the fireworks, but not the noise, and now the stupid fire "bombs" are worse than anything. My dog hates them too. He was fine with it when young, and then when he was about 2 or 3 years old some inconsiderate neighbor kids threw firecrackers at him. He wasn't hurt, but has been a trembling mess every since.

I've been on a painting break since finishing my spring classes, but am slowly getting back to it. I do need to move a bit faster though because I need new work for the gallery in 10 days! Nothing like pressure.....
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ari never minded fireworks, he knew what they were. He got to watch them when he was a year old a couple of days before our anniversary so he was a sophisticated kitty, a civilized house cat who always liked human entertainments and especially the computer.

He's gone now.

I went to a one day SCA (historical enactment) event for Saturday and left on Friday. The last I saw of him was just before I left, he relaxed on the kitchen floor and I petted him, just a sweet moment while getting ready. Saturday morning he skipped breakfast, but played with the catnip carrot I got him for our anniversary and then curled up under the sink for a nap out of the way. He passed away in his sleep in that final nap.

He'd been getting weak and losing weight, we were worried and had a vet visit lined up for him but it was too late. This may have been kidney or liver failure, but he was very old. Sixteen years old. He made it past our anniversary and his last few weeks were comfortable even if he was getting that weak. I worried about him but had to get fitted into the schedule with so much going on.

Gods. Ari is gone.

It feels as if he's still here, just behind the curtains in the window he liked best or off in the other room playing with Kyra the kitten. The very last photo of Ari that anyone took was of him and Kyra curled up together in Sasha's room, she took it with her phone and showed me. I'm looking for it to post it, would love to share it on Facebook.

I miss him more than I can say. He was my friend and companion, he was also a licensed therapy cat and literally took care of me when I hurt.

Once again life handed me a beautiful Siamese in the form of his apprentice, Kyra. I'm not alone. I have the Wiggle Puss and Ari himself was that wiggly bouncy at her age, would not sit still for a cuddle. That came later. I have three affectionate Barn Cats looking after me too - and when Ari went outside for a day and a nightt of Adventures, they looked after him and helped him get home safe. He had that - he had one day and night of Adventure as an outdoor cat and came back full of burrs with a tick on his neck that Sasha got off him, but he removed all the burrs.

I'll always love him.

I still have all the photos and sketches, though I lost his kitten pictures I may be able to memory paint how he looked at six weeks old when he fell asleep in my hand. I'll never forget him. He taught me so much and loved so deep and well, but humans live longer than cats.

He liked it here, he had cat friends and good food and everything he liked. There's a green place for him to rest and I'll put a stone out for him. I can do that this time. If anyone wants to send flowers or any card, please, donate to a no-kill cat shelter.

I was going to adopt a shelter cat and then I got my kitten picked out for me by his mom's human - only to find that all three of his siblings died of a large pit bull they had. Saved from death, he became my cat and even learned that he didn't have to fear all dogs. Then I planned to get a shelter cat and my daughter Kitten met a farmer on the road carrying a kitten and a limb lopper intending decapitation - once again in getting Kyra, I saved a cat from a death sentence. So please, support a cat shelter in his name.

Aristophenes Mr. Robert's Cat was beautiful and smart and loved computers, he was online all his life and the last time he typed was the day before he died, in a chat with my daughter. He never stopped being photogenic. I don't know how I got so lucky to get such an amazing cat, but I'll do right by little Kyra and celebrate Ari's memory.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 PM

Robert, I am so sorry for your loss. I've been lurking here at WetCanvas, and have enjoyed your many informative and encouraging posts. It has been so clear from your many sketches of him, how very much Ari has meant to you. I wish you and Kyra the very best.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Oh Robert! My heart aches for you; I know well what you are feeling. Some pets are just more "special" than others even though all are our special friends. You saved Ari, and he saved you. Now it is Kyra"s turn. I'm sure she made a great apprentice.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

Robert, I've missed seeing your post on FaceBook so I came over here. My heart hurts so badly for you. Your love for Ari and him for you were nowhere more evident than in your sketches and paintings of him.Again, I believe you should put together a book of those sketches, etc. "The Life of Ari" and market it. I know *I* would buy a copy. Proceeds could be donated to a shelter in Ari's memory.

I know he's waiting for you at the bridge.

~Barbara
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2016, 03:38 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Here's the link to next months Scumble!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images