WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Question How do you organize your palette?

I read many books recommend that I should take the wrap off the new pastels and break them into half. I intend to do so now.

Here come my next question how should I organize those unlabled pastels. May I get idea from you about your way(s) of handling your palette with hundreds of naked pastels?

Thanks for sharing it to me.
Ead
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 11:04 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States
Hi Ead, I have heard of different ways and any of them I guess are fine as long as you understand your set up. I, for one, am just starting and my palette at this moment is a mess!

You can divide your colors by tone, value, or temperature. Tone being by the lightness or darkness, value by strength of color, or temperature being whether cool or warm. If I blundered here, let me know. I have read a lot of stickys this week and may get my wires crossed but that is how I understand it so far.

I suppose it is how you use your color is how you may determine your set up. I will watch this thread to see some more responses to get ideas as they come. Thanks for posting a great question.

Stoy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

Hails from United States
I'm afraid I'd be a very bad example to follow. I keep all of my pastels in plastic drawers by color. I yank out what I think I will use for a particular painting and throw them all down on a towel in front of me. If I find I need more shades, I go back into the drawer and pull it out also. I like sitting the floor while I'm painting and our german shepard likes to carry off my pastels if he thinks I'm neglecting him, so I can also use the towel to cover them up. I have a large oak easel, which I never use. And a cheap telescoping watercolor easel which is where you'll find me.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera. - Anonymous
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 12:28 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States
I do about the same as Morgie- I kinda look and lay out what it is I think I'll need, I have to or else I'm worse than a kid in a candy store and try to use all the colours at once. Then I set them up in a "cool/warm" arrangement, but I'm not all that disciplined, and very soon I'm searching through 15 sticks for "that light lavender- where is that? I just used it...."

I'll peel 'em, but I hate breaking them. Just seems kinda sacreligious....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Hi there,

Here's a photo of my portable set that I carry around most of the time - for class, hiring models, in the field, etc.

I immediately remove the wrapper, break them into thirds, and group them by color and value (for the most part). You'll see lots of discrepancies in this photo.

For this particular box, I keep the dark colors towards the hinge (the bottom of the box as I'm carrying it) - so the dark dust doesn't fall all over the light colors.

Oh - I keep my light neutrals together too.

Barb (this may change next year - it depends what works best for me at the time I'm painting)

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
I take the labels off, then make a color swatch, label it with make/name/number to make it easier to get replacements. I store them in their original boxes (open stock in another container) I break mine and so when I clean up after a painting it is easy to match it back to the original place in the right box. While painting I use a box with plastic dividers to keep the 'current' pastels, and if they get dirty, it is best to clean them before storing away. I put everything away, before I start a new painting...
HTH
Meisie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

By color, in rainbow order, and by value. Tell you more when I get a chance but maybe this will help...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 02:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
I work plein air almost all the time with my pastels. Time is one of the most important elements when working on location because of the constant light changes! Like Deborah, I tend to sort by color/value.

My lightest lights on the upper left, middle tones range across the center, lower left to upper right, and darkest values/colors in the lower right diagonal corner.

This makes it much faster picking up a color because...my hand will move to the area of value as my eye is discerning it in the landscape. It takes some time working with the pastels to develop this relationship between the palette/the hand/and the eye, but it does happen. If my pastels were all in a jumble, it would take me much too long to sort them out with the eye and grab the right one...and by then, I'd also lose what my eye had recorded! Sort of like a balancing act! I'm always looking for new ways to cut down on the use of my time in the painting process...so that I can concentrate more on the subject!

I don't pick out colors and set them aside....I like to see all the colors at once. The eye is so discerning that you can pick a color in a landscape....then immediately scan all your colors and the eye will 'match' the color/value.

I once ask..."how do you find the four-leaf clovers so easily?" and the reply was "because I only look for them...they stand out from all the others!" In the same way, I look for the color that stands out from all the others. Sorting my pastels into lights to darks, warm to cool, just simplifies the search.

carly
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by bnoonan
Hi there,

Wow!!! look at all the pretty colours!! broke in 3rds!!!
I cried when I broke a little peice off the end of each of mine!!! u mean I have to break them more!!!!!

I'm so knew I still have them in little boxes they came in LOL
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
I break my pastels up right away and use the sides of them to work - rather than the ends - unless it requires a sharp edge for a line.

Breaking them up is so much fun!!! Dusty - dirty and messy - but fun!!!

Barb

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:37 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
I also use the sides of mine way more than the tips, that is why I break mine too
Meisie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:48 PM
Juneau, Alaska

Hails from United States
Unisons too?

For some reason, although I have lots of broken pastels, I have always kept the Unisons intact, which now that I think about it, means that I can't use all those wonderful colors if I want to use the side of the pastel . . .

So, looking at BNoonan's picture, I don't think I can see see any Unison sized sticks, and Deborah's has a Unison with its label on.

Just want to see if others have bravely gone before in breaking their Unisons before I try it (I'm a chicken!)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Question Barb's Box

Barb?? Did you make that box?? what is the insert made out of??
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Hi there,
I've only purchased one unison pastel and I did break it up - it broke my heart because it's so soft and I knew there were goign to be unused fragments.... however... I really like using the side of the pastel.

Barb

it was worth it~

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 01:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Sorry - we cross posted.

The box is great! It came from an art store in Wyoming that was phasing out it's pastels from stock (found out about it through WC and made some great purchases that way).

There's no manufacturer name on the box but it looks like just an empty wooden box. They put down a thin layer of foam on each side and then cut up the foam separators from a box of Rembrandts to use dividers. Since the dividers didn't take up a complete side, another set of foam - thicker and the depth of the box was added.

To keep the lids on - they use velcro.

A similiar box is on the back cover of the Dakota Art supply catalog for 2003. It's called Dakota Universal Travel Boxes. It's slightly different but not by much.

If you need a closer photo - let me know.

Barb