WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Question What do you do with your paintings...?

Hi all...

Not sure that this should go here, but I'm still finding my way around here, so here goes...

I have a growing pile of pastel paintings (of varying degrees of quality...!) from the last two or three years that very few people ever set eyes on. Doesn't bother me too much, but they're beginning to take up space.

Because they're pastel and need to be framed behind glass, and because they're quite big, it's going to cost a small fortune to get them all framed.

I don't really care for selling them - too expensive and too much time and hassle spent away from the easel - and I don't want to give them away as freebies (especially considering I'm still going to be the one paying for the framing !)

So the question arrises: What do you all do with your unsold dust-collecting paintings...?!

Love to hear some reactions!!

Paul.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal

Hails from Canada
they're in my room, on top of my collection of newspapers I kept for one reason or another.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2003, 08:38 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
So far...I sell everything

as a matter of fact, I was out of things to sell last week and had to get busy

TRY EBAY

Many folks will buy your work unframed

Pam
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2003, 05:25 AM
Immortalized
Outside The Box that is Melbourne

Hails from Australia
I have mine stacked up against the wall. Nothing worth trying to sell yet.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2003, 12:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
I frame all of my paintings behind glass, too. Yes, it's expensive, but I won't exhibit my work if it isn't presented well.

So, everything is framed, everything is exhibited, and--eventually--everything gets sold.

(Until it's sold, my wife and I have my art hanging throughout our apartment...)

K
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Wirral

Hails from England
I give all of my stuff away, or swap it. It isn't really of good enough quality to sell...

However, I do donate some stuff to my reptile club to sell and raise money... but i don't get any proceeds from it. Maybe if and when i improve, I might think about selling... I dunno...

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2003, 06:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Framed and sold...if it is not good enough for that, a piece gone wrong, I remove the canvas and recycle the canvas stretchers...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States
all of mine are sold on ebay - if they don't sell the first time around, i relist them...

the ones that i'm really not happy with at all, get put in the bottom of my art materials closet for "recycling" - i use the back to try stuff out, or i use pieces of them for cards, nametags on presents, or notes to my mom...interestingly enough, i get a lot of compliments for those cards, even though the painting was junk

the ebay thing only works well, if you are willing to go the whole way of processing orders immediatly, packaging very well and keeping up with putting paintings up for auction. ebay is a very fast moving marketplace - if you're not present for a week, your customers will move on to the next merchant...

i have gotten quite a few commission jobs from ebay customers, so that is an "added benefit" of ebay for me.

however, all that said, ebay customers also have a VERY large merchant base to choose from - that's where you'll have to determine if your work is the same as everyone else's (and you'll be sharing customers with all the others) or if you have something unique to offer (which is where you'll have to spend more time and money, waiting for the right customers to come along).
it is also a question of effort vs. monetary reward: the buyers on ebay don't neccessarily know or care about how long it took YOU to paint that painting - they are only going to pay you what it is worth to THEM.
i am often amazed, that paintings that i thought were really good and that were a real "labor of love" only fetch low prices and others, that i put up for auction "just to see, if maybe someone "unknowing" got out of bed to buy something on ebay" get prices that i myself would never pay for that particular piece.
so, i guess, you just never know...
might be worth a try for you...go for it, and see what happens!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Thanks for all that.... have toyed with the idea of ebay, but was put off my the huge number ofgood quality stuff that never got a single bid. Put off too easily, I suppose !

P.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2003, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States
hi paul,

time is a big factor with ebay - the auction should end at a time, when the most traffic is happening there, i.d. evenings.
also, sometimes it is better to start with a low starting price, to get things going - however, there will be times, when those paintings go for a "too low price".

i guess it just depends, on who is on ebay, seeing your picture, and wanting to buy something exactly like it...

(or, as my grandmother used to say:"every morning a fool gets up - catch him, if you can and make him give you money!" - that's pretty much my philosophy on selling most of my paintings... )
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States
hey paul,

saw a really great mosaic work the other day that was made up of squares of canvas that a girl had painted and not sold. the piece was huge, about 4 x 5 feet and it was really intricate because each one inch square had so many diff. colors in it that it enabled her to make some really great detailed areas.

just an idea, perhaps you could work smaller and do the same thing? paper is much easier to do this with than canvas anyway... you could "fix" the pastels with some kind of fixative perhaps?

just an idea.... use the ones you really don't like....

i always just gesso over the old canvases and repaint on top myself. nothing like a nice "free" white canvas to start a new painting on. and i didnt have to leave the house to get art supplies.

Keith R, i can relate to having a housefull of art.... kind of nice in a way tho... who else has 30 or so original works on their walls? hee hee.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2003, 10:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States
Fortunately for those of us who 'collect' pastel paintings, they stack up quite nicely since paper is so thin.....unlike my canvases when I painted in oils so much!

I, too, sell on Ebay and it's been great for the past couple of years. The income has provided for many workshops and trips to paint, new supplies and my daughter's extra college expenses! The past month has been slow, but I've been taking a break, too, from listing so much. Right now, I'm concentrating on getting into some shows and a gallery! (have a show planned for next May!!) so I've been busy marketing in other avenues.

But, for those paintings that don't make the cut....it's Ebay time!
carly
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Amsterdam

Hails from United Nations
Paintings first get hung on the wall, later as time progresses they get stacked against the wall. Eventually when the stack gets to big they go up in the attic. Work on paper (acrylics, pastels and colour pencil) go in large folders, doesn't take up too much space that way.
Stuff only gets framed when needed for a show. But as I sometimes paint faster then i can show, loads of stuff is just sitting there.
They make nice birthday, diner of no-reason-at-all gifts or they get swapped for various stuff if people are interested. (someone welded me anexcellent easel extension in turn for a pastel)

The only thing I never do is throwing them out.
Pinterest
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Here's what I do...

and my reasons for doing it.

First, I photograph everything I do, good or bad. That way I always have a record of what I've done and how far I've come.

Second, ones that I deem "good" get sold, entered in competitions, exhibited, or put in a gallery ("good" meaning I wouldn't mind them being known as a part of my overall body of work). Once in a great while I will give a "good" one away as a special gift.

Third, ones that I deem "bad" I destroy in one way or another. If it's an oil on canvas, I'll rip off the canvas and recycle the stretcher bars. Then I'll cut up the canvas.

Basically, I don't have the space or inclination to save EVERY painting I think is "bad." Those that were significant learning experiences I'll keep, otherwise off to the trash with them. Remember, I photograph everything I do so I have a record of the ones that get destroyed.

I recently took a workshop with Matt Smith, a gifted plein air artist from Arizona. He put it this way: An artist is eventually known by the body of work that he or she produces. Do you want your really bad pieces coming back later to "haunt" you? Do you want them to be representative of your body of work?

I don't, that's why I destroy everything I think isn't successful.

My 2 cents

Nancy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2003, 02:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Re: Here's what I do...

Quote:
Originally posted by nrynes
I recently took a workshop with Matt Smith, a gifted plein air artist from Arizona. He put it this way: An artist is eventually known by the body of work that he or she produces. Do you want your really bad pieces coming back later to "haunt" you? Do you want them to be representative of your body of work?

I don't, that's why I destroy everything I think isn't successful.

My 2 cents

Nancy

You bet...I don't want any less then savoury pieces haunting me later..
Welcome to WC by the way!