WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
The Goalpost January 2016

Welcome to The Goalpost! Goal setting is fantastic for organizing your creative work, motivating yourself to new growth and accomplishments and measuring how far you've come. Sometimes it's hard to sense the results of all your cumulative progress, but setting daily, weekly, monthly goals and meeting them makes it possible to recognize how much you've done.

Goal setting is also great for morale. It's one sure way to tell that you're improving your art. When you measure by quantity rather than quality, practice grows your skills fast with far less effort.

Ari Cat purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration!

Your goals can be any scale you want - monthly goals are very useful to pace your life overall, but longer goals like seasonal ones or annual can be accomplished in stages. Daily painting as a goal has kept me active and growing for a long time, but others with busier lives may want weekly painting or some other arrangement. Set your own goals to suit your time, pace and inclination.

Of course, this is January, so Happy New Year! Annual goals tend to appear at the top of January because it's the custom, so post your art goals, life goals and progress here! Happy Holidays!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Goalpost January 2016

My goals for January 2016 -

Leslie Saeta 30 in 30 Challenge, daily painting. If I don't succeed in that, eh, I just moved and need to finish moving into Rose Cottage. I'm about a week away from actually getting in there and lots still needs to be done.

So that's my only two January goals. Moving In and Daily Art.

Unpacking and organizing my studio is an ongoing one that'll take more than one month.

Annual goal for 2016: Prepare for my great Retirement Comeback starting in December when I turn 62 and can shift over to old age Social Security. That can be supplemented with art sales. So this year's goal is to prepare for it - visit galleries, build up a nice body of salable works, get better at painting horses since I have a natural audience of horse owners riding around with my farrier daughter Kitten. It's good and vague, any progress toward it will make a better 2017 than not.

I'll also eat more bacon, enjoy smoking, pet cats and otherwise thoroughly indulge myself. Drink alcohol more often! Yeah! (Social drinker with more of a social life this year. lol)

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Sounds great, Rob! So glad to hear you are doing well.

I really lost December....too much other stuff going on. But hope to get back on track now.
Goals for January....resist hibernating and take part in more social activities
get back to painting: sketch daily
one Spotlight
clean up and reorganize my art workspace
continue to watch art videos and apply what I learn
That should keep me busy!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I am happy you are back with family, Robert, and everything is going well for you. It must be a huge relief. Great goals! It always takes a while to find things when you move and I bet you find things that you think you lost. lol Have fun with the 30 in 30 challenge!

Hibernating time is over, Judi! Let 2016 begin with a bang! If you paint or sketch daily, it will become a habit and part of your every day routine. Good luck with your goals!

Happy New Year to all my fellow goalies! I hope this year is kind to you all!

My goals for January 2016 are:

1) Take part in Leslie Saeta's Thirty Paintings in Thirty Days Challenge. I plan on doing 30 paintings, but if I get to twenty I will chalk it up as a win.

2) Keep my new Facebook page up to date. I just started it yesterday and it is a place where I plan on posting all my work. Here is the link if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/Doug-Wasili...homepage_panel

3) Join the local chapter and the parent chapter of Federation of Canadian Artists. Work on preparing a portfolio so I can submit it to the jury to become an Active member which would allow me to enter shows. This will be an on going goal over the next six months.

4) Keep up my program for managing my chronic pain. I have found something that works for me and should clear the way for a successful year.

Thanks for reading my mess!

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 01:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Great goals, Judi. Daily painting is a good one, everything else is improved by that.

Doug, liked your new Facebook page and its header art, gorgeous painting. Thanks for the link!

I didn't put Spotlight on my goals but I always do one and did just download all the photos so yeah, it'll probably happen. Did today's art, now just need to get the Kindle linked to the new machine and download all the photos, process today's art in Gimp and prepare to post. This could take me a while, but at least I have through tomorrow to post the art.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

January 2016 Goals

Hi there Robert and glad you made that trip ok. I did not realise the USA was that big across. You made it here as well. Those are good goals and should see you off to a good start this year. It is lovely to hear that you intend enjoying life more. Happiness is what it's all about and as you say, plenty of horsey models about.

Hi Doug, nice to hear from you with a good set of goals as well. I wouldn't take on any challenge that required daily time as my time each day is limited and varied. It is good that you have found something that helps you to accomplish your daily doings. More power to your elbow as we say.

I have a batch of 'minis' to complete as well as a handful ( a dozen?) of regular sized (11” X 14”) images to correct/complete. Perhaps I should put them in the WC studio page and ask for advice? I also have to cut and glue in the separators for the pastel box, break the Unisons in two then grade their values. I also want to do some more outdoor sketching this year, from the shelter of the car if necessary.
Which to do first?
I know, I'll just do what I feel like doing on the day. I like that. Spontaneity we call it I think. Perhaps it is 'ad hoc' under another name. Oh the wonders of the English language .
Jim
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

LOL...Jim.... I love the idea of doing "what I feel like doing" for the day!

Doug...So good to hear from you...and your facebook page is delightful! Thanks for the link. I wish you well with the 30 in 30...

Rob...you are going to be busy this month for sure...

Just got back from a social New Year's Day brunch with friends....no sketching yet. But the day is not over...

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Hi there Judi, I was in a rush earlier and missed you. I know what it's like to loose a month. It is easily done. How does one resist hibernating? Be a go getter? .
An organised workspace makes you feel so good so that is fine. A pity you are not closer because I was wondering what to do with all the dvds and books I have on our interests. Perhaps donate them to a charity shop, our high street is now full of them. Happy video watching.
Jim
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

Happy New Year to all of you - Robert, Jim, Doug, Judibelle and whoever will be participating in this lovely group!
I was glad to hear from you, Robert and Doug.
My goals for January: focus on coloured pencils, watch art videos, and in general do some artish activity every day.
I migrated my blog from wordpress to blogger, as you can see in my signature. In the last weeks I didn't manage to blog thrice a week, but my goal is to stick to this schedule again.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 AM

A happy new year to you Ulla. Good goals with the CP and art videos, and of course to do something art'ish every day. They look fine. The useful part of a DVD is that it can be stopped and repeat anytime you want. I hope we all have a good start to the year.

Jim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Cutting back to just Daily Art. Too much logistic trouble getting photos posted from the new machine. More news about the move later. But not feeling too bad about not posting to Leslie Saeta. I have kept up Daily Art albeit small.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States

Happy new year all!

Robert, I take the liberty to speak for many in this forum that we are happy your trip and transition to your new home is going well and it is great to hear that you are getting settled into you new digs.

My holiday house guest left today so now I can actually contemplate goals for the month. I am hoping to do at least two paintings (either oil or pastel) each week and use the spotlight information to prepare value studies for each in advance of the actual painting. I am also going to investigate joining the local art league where I spend the winter and perhaps get some lessons while here. These are my modest goals for January. I learned my lesson in December when I failed to meet any of my goals. Small steps and expectations for 2016.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Robert- I can understand you cutting back on your goals. You will get into a routine once you are settled into your new home. Doing daily art is a good goal to have.

Judi- Thanks for checking out my FB page. I am posting all my 30 in 30 paintings there. I am probably driving all my FB friends crazy. I hope you are finding time to paint!

Jim- Finishing off old paintings is a good idea. I have tried adding Pan Pastel to old failed watercolor paintings. It's fun, because there is no pressure. I hope you are finding time to finish them.

Ulla- I always found colored pencils to be fun! There are so many things you can do with them, as I am sure you know. I hope you are having fun with your cp's and watching art videos!

Norma- Joining the local art league sounds like a wonderful idea. Meeting with like minded people can be very motivating. Good luck with your two painting per week goal! You can do it!

So far I have done 4 paintings in four days! They are all watercolor paintings done on 1/4 sheets (11" x 15") and at first I thought I might have to go smaller, but I found that I am getting quicker as I move along. I am starting to do things without having to stop and think about it. Thinking can be dangerous. I have kept my FB page up to date and posted my paintings on Leslie Saeta's blog. Pain management is going well. The only thing I need to do is look into joining the Federation of Canadian Artists.

I am happy with the way the month is starting.

Doug
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

Thought I'd like to share this with you. It is a freehand drawing, inspired by drawings I found on the web, coloured with polychromos coloured pencils, with babyoil used as a solvent.
Before doing that I did some colouring pages in order to practise using the right colours. The babyoil is applied with q-tips which gives more control than the use of a brush.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Fantastic drawing, Ulla, and a great effect with the baby oil! I think I have an oil based blending pencil for the Polychromos and a wax based one for wax based pencils. I am sure you have tried these. It looks like you are having fun experimenting with your cp's. Thanks for sharing your drawing with us!

Doug