WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM

Green Reflections

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Green Reflections
Year Created:
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was created on watercolor paper. I used luminescent watercolor from Daniel Smith as a ground and built up the image with pastel.

Although you can't see it in the picture, the luminescent watercolor gave the piece a subtle additional dimension and every so often you get a hint of shimmer through the pastel.

I appreciate your feedback!

- Lisa

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm considering including it in an exhibition submission this Saturday, so any tweaks that I could make to improve it would be helpful.

Last edited by lisagarrisonart : 10-29-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Resized Picture
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Re: Green Reflections

Nice job on the peppers. The highlights and shadows you have rendered describe the form nicely.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at in the background though.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:00 PM

The object behind is a reusable grocery bag with a Monet painting on it. The actual bag had recycle symbols on the side and I was afraid it would look cluttered but perhaps they would provide clarity?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:25 PM

I have been puzzling on this for a couple of days now. I *think* it is a pair of peppers in front of a book.

The peppers are soft and fuzzy. The binding on the book is soft and fuzzy, so are the edges of the book. Curiously, the picture on the cover of the book is sharp and hard. The edges on the bridge are a bit ragged, but they don't blend. When I look at the lower left edge of the green pepper facing upwards, the edge blends away into nothing. Compared to the illustration on the cover, the steps or waterfalls have much harder transitions. These sharper edges are drawing me up onto the illustration on the cover and away from the green peppers. Perhaps that is your intention.

I find some other things a bit strange in the picture though. The shadow on the table beneath the overturned green pepper has quite a bit of red in it...too warm, a cooler light would have been welcome. Something else which seems a bit off, I don't think you've left enough space between the edge of the green pepper and the book. The green pepper and book are physically occupying the same space on the left edge. The edge of the book is under the green pepper too deep.

The green pepper pair is a curiosity. The open half I am looking down into it. The overturned half I am looking at on edge. The cut line is exactly on edge with my eyesight and is absolutely straight. I can only do that if I am changing my station point.

It would seem to me I would be observing the top of the overturned pepper and thus see a curve to this edge.

The curve into straight is a bit of an eye draw.

The straight line leads to no where... it goes on a tangent directly to the edge of the other green pepper. You've hidden this beak shape bravely and well, perhaps using this strong joined shape to direct the eye around would have been something to consider.

There are two competing subjects, the book? and the peppers. Specifically, the bridge and the peppers. I sense more of them competing for your attention rather than one supporting the other.

The peppers only take up a small fraction more space than the weight of the bridge. My eye jumps between them, bridge, peppers, bridge, peppers and ignores the rest of the structures. Perhaps some variation on the edge of the book to lead the eye on a path round would be of some use. A few brighter values (only barely brighter) and sharper rather than the same strength of edge and color of edge on the book and the binding.

Something I really like is the warm reflected light on the upturned pepper, it is subtle and believable, delicately done and you've done exceptionally well here. Your edges are soft almost everywhere, and so gives a feeling of memory to the piece. Lot's of atmosphere.

(Edit: I see now you describe a grocery bag... please adjust the references of grocery bag to book... I am too lazy to go back in and do that today)

Nice piece of work, a great deal of care has gone into it.

Last edited by Mark Szymanski : 10-29-2015 at 05:29 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Mark,

Your critique was extremely helpful! This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get on WetCanvas! You know what they say about being too close to a project... I didn't even notice some of the things mentioned but now they are so obvious! I'll go back and try to make some adjustments.... Thank you!

- Lisa