WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 AM

Painting a Black Dog

Hi,

I'm trying to paint a black dog, I know the black is actually a very, very dark blue.

How can I make that dark of blue? will the compliment make it that dark? or should I add black? or is there another way?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 AM
Central Europe

Hails from Germany
Re: Painting a Black Dog

The complimentary colour will actually make it brownish/grayish.
If you mant to mix black there are different mixes such as ultramarine + burnt sienna or burnt umber. You could try making one of those lean towards the blue spectrum.

Try mixing ivory black with different blues or layering them above the black paint! You can also try Payne`s Gray (it`s a very dark blue-almost-black-gray). It`s mostly prussian blue mixed with yellow ochre and crimson lake. Or some blue + black.

Last edited by Erlkönigin : 07-23-2015 at 03:24 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass22
I'm trying to paint a black dog, I know the black is actually a very, very dark blue.
How did you know black is actually a very, very dark blue?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I do not think that any dog is dark blue.
Since cameras are not capable of capturing shades of color in low light (as of a black dog), I recommend you study the dog in person and begin by making a color chart about his body colors in high- and low-key areas: make six different mixtures of siena and ultramarine and then add white, then black, and finally both to each of your black mixtures. Keep track of what you mixed for each color sample. This will familiarize you with the results and help you choose the most suitable color mixtures to use.

Last edited by karenlee : 07-23-2015 at 11:34 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

If you are saying that the dog is is "a very, very, dark blue" because you heard that you "should not use black" and that "black does not exist in nature", those are impressionist color thoeries that I would only worry about if you want to paint like a 19th century french impressionist. Artists used black for hundreds, if not thousands of years before the impressionists made that rule.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2015, 05:29 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

To answer the original question: yes you can make a very dark blue (almost black) by mixing a complement into your blue. How dark it is depends on the pigments used and how thickly it is applied. And yes, adding black to your blue will also work...and likely be easier.

But the other responses are correct to question the notion that the black is necessarily a very very dark blue. The colors 'found' in black things in nature will depend a lot on the ambient lighting and surrounding colors. So under a bright, blue sky, you certainly might find some noticeable hints of blue in some places of the dog's fur. Other times you might not...it might even be 'warm' under incandescent lighting. It depends on the situation, and more importantly...your own personal way of seeing and using color. If it looks good, it's right...no matter what colors you use!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

I mix dark blues with ultramarine and burnt umber. Ultramarine is already low value and it only takes a little umber to take it lower, a little more and it give a nice black (a bit more and you have a warm brownish black).
But the highlights would be a much lighter blue, then it will read clearly as a bluish black pooch.

I could paint this dog with white and only two colors, ultramarine blue, burnt umber.
cats and panthers can have that same shiny blue black fur look.
Placing the dog in a complementary background may enhance the blue look.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 07-24-2015 at 06:31 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL
How did you know black is actually a very, very dark blue?

Hi

I used photoshop to colour select the coat and it showed it as a very very dark blue.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 AM

I'm finding it hard to understand how to make the dog not just look like a flat black object, all that reflected light, i'm not very experienced.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

look at the photo i posted, highlights reach a white, even though the dog is black. large areas of the dog in light are actually light blue. don't paint like you are painting a wall, with one solid color. paint the variations in value first and color second, with perspective, and it will make the dog look real.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I'm finding it hard to understand how to make the dog not just look like a flat black object, all that reflected light, i'm not very experienced.
You can follow the principle of "Paint what you see, not what you know".

You know that the dog is black. Since you don't paint what you know, so you don't paint the dog black.

You see that its shoulder is black. Since you paint what you see, so you paint its shoulder black.

You see that its nose is light blue. Since you paint what you see, so you paint its nose light blue. (It does not mean black is light blue. It just means that its nose appears blue because it reflects the blue sky.)

After you understand the principle, all you need to do is to execute. You can mix a string of colors, from black to dark blue to light blue, and apply these colors to the corresponding areas.

Last edited by SamL : 07-25-2015 at 05:41 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

To paint a black dog, first you have to get the dog to trust you. It helps if you are the owner. It also helps if you've never, ever, done such a thing to the dog before. Use the largest brush you possibly can and be quick about dipping it in your paint bucket...

I could not help it, I own a black dog. :-)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Hi,

How can I make that dark of blue? will the compliment make it that dark? or should I add black? or is there another way?

Hi glass22, if you're painting from a photo, could you share the photo (if you like) here in the thread? It might be easier to see what you're seeing. Thanks!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Colorado

In my sig is a link to some of my paintings. One of them is my friend and his black dog. The dog is done really roughly so you can kind of see the color changes that are on him (he could be done more detailed with a similar look color wise). His head is done with just ivory black and white, and I think just a touch of yellow ochre in one side. The black looks very blue by just adding some white, especially if you don't use a more intense blue elsewhere as long as the rest of the painting isn't real bright. The pillow is also black/white.

The blue robe on the angle in my study of "Jerome and the Angle" in the same link is also just ivory black and white. I think as long as the background is at least semi warm, and semi dark, the black/white thing works great instead of a blue. I don't know that it's "right" but it looks very blue in person, and is what I tend to use most often for my blue anymore unless I need a transparent one.

You can see higher rez versions by mousing over the little gear in the top right corner.

http://bmc1010.imgur.com/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
To paint a black dog, first you have to get the dog to trust you. It helps if you are the owner. It also helps if you've never, ever, done such a thing to the dog before. Use the largest brush you possibly can and be quick about dipping it in your paint bucket...

I could not help it, I own a black dog. :-)

Before painting do you give the black dog a coat of gesso or other primer?

R/Mike