WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States
ebay FULL Heilman Backpacker

Have you see this on ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121700524355

It states that the pastels are Blue Earth and Girault. Roughly counting the large Blue Earth, there are over 200 of them. Not sure how many Girault, but a decent number in a variety of colors.

It is going for $599. If someone wanted to pay $450 for the box and halved pastels, I would pay $150 for the other half of the pastels. Anybody like splitting pastels sets as much as I do?

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Re: ebay FULL Heilman Backpacker

The seller states both items are new, unused and unopened, yet shows them in use. A number of the pastels show definite use as indicated by the worn corners. There seems to be a lot of dust also indicating use despite the declaration. "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item." yet the items are plainly opened and used. Even the description of "...almost complete set.." indicates the set has some problems, such as missing pastels.

It might be a good deal, but you never know what you're going to get through eBay until it arrives, and by then it's too late if the seller is advertising new and selling obviously used. Might not be the case, but I'd be very leery of this one.

Again, I'm just cautious. I've gotten some good deals through eBay, but this one looks fishy to me.

R/Mike

Edit- I tried to contact the seller about this issue, but he/she is not accepting questions or other communications. No way I'd buy this one.

R/M

Last edited by Mike L : 07-12-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: New information available
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

If you look closely at the photos, most of the pastels besides the Blue Earth are not Giraults. They look like NuPastels. They are square. There are some Giraults in the far left hand compartment, mostly very dark browns it seems to me.

Cat

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Blue Earths are actually quite tiny, halving them could be problematic. I have a couple dozen and they're good, but much smaller tan Ludwigs. From hte size of the block that was the first iteration of a full range set and they do look barely used. Don't know whhat the hard pastels are but they're cheap unless tehy're Polychromos. Fair number of Girault but yeah, mostly browns. Someone's trying to get serious value selling a used set, knows what the contents are worth and thinks it's a huge bargain when it's a moderate bargain.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Something else I noticed - one of the pictures shows the easel accessory attached, but the write up says the sale includes the easel adapter. A shame the seller won't answer questions.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Strange, they answered all my questions on the auction. Not sure why you say they weren't accepting communications.

It closed with no bids, was relisted for $199 and is currently at $407, which is still a bit high for used (It sure isn't new in the factory boxes anyway) equipment being touted as new, but still an OK price so far. The Blue Earths and the Heliman with the easel attachment would sell for $900 new at Dakota's regular prices.

With three people obviously interested it might just go higher than the original starting bid price of $599. eBay is weird most of the time but sometimes you find a sweet deal. This one isn't one of those times, unfortunately unless you are about to buy the same items new and the bidding doesn't go much higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/deal-Heilman.../400959373601?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Check it out -- Seller relisted, starting at $199 - final selling price was pretty interesting considering that they could have had it for hundreds less on the original auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/deal-Heilman.../400959373601?

Last edited by Moqui Steps : 07-28-2015 at 08:43 PM.