WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Anonymous

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Starving Woman (Nude)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Starving Woman (Nude)
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8.5x11''
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The first two pictures are by me and are images of something I doodled in less than 15 minutes. I made it to gauge what level of art I'm at (beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc.)...I think this represents the best I can do in 15 minutes.

The third picture is not by me, and represents my goal: I want to be able to draw at that level within 15 or 20 minutes (or less).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My questions for the critiques:

1. What level of art am I at (beginner, intermediate, or advanced), based on this 15-minute figure sketch?

2. How can I improve to the point where I can draw like the third picture? Any suggested specific tutorials, teachers, books, techniques, etc. for getting there? I believe that I could recreate the third picture if given like, 5 hours and lots of concentration, but not in 15-20 minutes. I want to get to the level where I can do it in 15-20 minutes.

3. I believe the areas where I need the most work are in the face and hair. What tutorials, techniques, books, teachers, etc. do you recommend for helping me draw realistic races and hair (and bodies, for that matter)?

Thank you all.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 03:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Starving Woman (Nude)

your goal is attainable, it just takes practice

if you have access to live figure drawing, go, often and regularly
if you don't have access to live figures - draw anything, often and regularly because it trains your eyes to see and your hand to listen to your eyes and this is the ONLY way to improve, by doing.
based on your sketch i would say beginner
with practice seeing, you will progress - if you can See it, you can draw it, not matter what it is. even if you draw a barbie, it's learning to see, or a mannequin, or anything that isn't 'fluffy' (like a stuffed toy).
sketch your own face using a mirror, or your hand, it's always with you and you can practice anywhere with that ... sit in a park and sketch people, groups, work quickly and without detail - don't worry detail until you get a handle on shape, size, proportion, perspective, curve, tone. if you find yourself zoning in on detail, try working with charcoal instead of pencil.

and don't give up
it's work, but it gets easier and better quite quickly when you practice regularly

hope this helps

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2015, 03:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Candid comment --- you have a long, long way to go. Someone would have to be very expert in the subject to achieve that level in 15-20 minutes.

You would be better to attend Life Classes using real models and having a decent teacher to guide you. Books by Civardi, Sheppard, Bridgman and many others would help you.

Best of luck and top marks for trying.

Geoff
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

I totally agree with DG
Your attempt looks a little like it was taken from an Egon Schiele ?
Find a life studies class somewhere and draw draw draw
Regards
Andrew
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM
West Virginia

Hails from United States

I had this frustration early on (and still do at times) where I would not only compare my art to masters, but also compare the time it would take to complete them. This is a huge mistake. You should only work as quick as accuracy will allow.

Fundamentals are more important than speed. Concentrate on fundamentals, and speed will automatically come.

If you visit YouTube and search "live figure drawing" there are several tutorials and timed sessions that may help you. Just keep drawing and don't give up!