WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Lord of the Arts

Garden tower ;)

Hi,

I am sorry for being away lately. Somehow, my "real life" took over. Or maybe I should have said my "other life" because I feel more real when I paint

Anyway, I couldn't resist the June challenge in Animal forum. I would be grateful for any tips and critique. I love those guys since my childhood, but I have never realized how tricky it is to draw or paint them

Beautiful reference by smudged-blue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1380769

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: Garden tower ;)

Nick, your painting is moving along...slowly but nicely. (Sorry I couldn't resist the snail reference.). I particularly like the bottom snail. Love the body of the second one.
You are so creative with your subject. Nice job.

JAY
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I like this so much, Nick! To me, it looks like they are out for a walk along a beach, with the bottom snail on wet sand and foam from the waves just missing them. The bits of reflected blue on the "sand" and their bodies add such a sunny day feeling! Garden or beach - it's really nice!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Immortalized

Wow, such beautiful coloring on the snails! The blending of colors on their bodies really captures the wet iridescense of their flesh. They look so real! Actually, beautiful colors in the foreground and background, too. This is really nice!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Lord of the Arts

You are too kind

Making their shells tree dimensional was a challenge. I am still not sure about the right part (our right) of the biggest one. I was not able to determine what created the effect in the photo.

Donna, you made me chuckle Too bad one of them had to stay in the reach of the sea! I have been thinking about it and to tell the truth I have no idea how I would paint the foam if I intended too. It would be pretty difficult from this perspective
I liked the original background, but was afraid to use black anywhere as well as white on the left side because I was afraid to draw attention away from them. It's kind of abstract now, not very satisfying probably.

Thank you for taking a look!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

What they said! Nicely done!

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Sarasota, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Nick, I love the stacked snails! I do like the abstract feel of your painting! I really like the textures that you achieved.