WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Talking Where You Work (or Have Fun)

This thread was suggested in May's WOYE thread and it was suggested I start it , so here it is. My studio is in my office which is half of a finished one car garage. My table is a steel roll around tool cabinet. One drawer holds acrylics supplies, one oils, one brushes, knives, pencils, etc. The bottom two hold miscellaneous stuff like empty jars, pallet plates, rubber gloves and the like.

The easel is a super inexpensive French Easel that has never been outside but which works perfectly on top of the tool cabinet.

I took a drawing/painting class in 1999, then stopped. I've piddled at drawing from time to time, but now I have the time and want to make use of it in a creative manner. If you haven't noticed I am a messy kind of person.

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing other folks' studios. Maybe I can learn something from them.

So, without further ado:

R/Mike
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Where You Work (or Have Fun)

Lol Mike, I think this is quite tidy!
The tool cabinet is an excellent idea - I just wonder how you'll cope as you acquire more and more 'stuff' ... now that you've picked up painting again ...... it's an ever-expanding hobby!!!!

Thanks for starting the thread and will hunt out (or re-photo) my space and join in

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2015, 12:16 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I love seeing other people's creative spaces.

Here's mine as it is right now. This is where I also visit wetcanvas every morning. When I paint I slide the swivel chair to the easel and move the little cart to the side. I've seen nice carts from Ikea but don't have one here but managed with a cheap bathroom organizer from Canadian Tire. Love having everything on there instead having to take it off a shelf.

Beside that is my crafting table where I keep my polymer stuff and some jewelry and beading supplies. Also some sewing stuff up on the shelf.

And a cardboard box on the floor where I spray paint things. That should be tucked away under the little desk lol.

And the other side with more stuff. I have too many interests! And a low budget. So I got a shoe rack to store all my containers of beads so that I don't have to stack them. Digging through piles of containers slows down the creative process. lol

And my son has a little table too, though he just uses it enough to make a mess on it. lol

There is also a closet full of stuff that you can't see.

I need a bigger room.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2015, 02:24 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

The spare bedroom in the duplex I rent is my studio. These photos were taken last year but nothing significant has changed;

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Nice space Michelle! That little cart looks useful It's a bear having to find storage for so many different interests isn't it - I'm like that too!

David - I can't believe how meticulously clean, tidy and organised your studio is! Nice peaceful space

My area is one end of a large room - the other end in my husband's music area with piano, electric organ and guitar - plus music cabinet. In between we have a nice sitting area that is always tidy and comfortable ...... unlike my work space which, however often I sort, rearrange and tidy, never looks anything other than cluttered!
The drawback is I have no access to water in here
My sewing stuff is in another room!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Maureen, sometimes I envy people who only do one thing, they have such tidy spaces. Yours looks quite organized. And David's as well. But you know, if it's really clean that means you're not producing anything.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Geez Im glad I only paint... Reposting my workplace photos to join the crew. I dont have water in my downstairs studio either, I even bought a little TV to use down there, but its gets darn hot in summer and cold in winter. This is why I tend to paint on the dining room table. I never use it to eat at so its got to be good for something.

I usually grab a selection of the paints I want from downstairs and throw them in a box to use.. My palette has become the top of icecream containers.

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.

Last edited by meggs : 06-02-2015 at 04:30 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 05:51 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well Meryl, we have to be comfortable when painting, so wherever that is, is the place to paint!

Snippet on tv yesterday -

Boredom - is a prelude to creative ideas, so being bored, or sitting doing nothing is OK

An untidy workspace leads to creativity ........ so I'm OK then!!!!!

**My SAA website**
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Beautiful B.C.

Hails from Canada

I'm joining in, I love to see where artists create.
My 3rd bedroom is my studio, it's small maybe 10x11, but it's near the kitchen...water...and has a huge south window so lots of light.
I'm not neat, and I need shelving, I have two large easels and a table one, right now one easel is in the Kit and one in my studio.
My Grand daughter and I have been painting together so we do it in the Kit, works better more room and sink is closer and she's messy.

These were taken a while ago, but it's pretty well the same, except for some different paintings in the works...some places,
As you can see, I need some shelving, too many books, I love books, and hate to get rid of them.....drives my kids crazy when they move me hehehe...
my favorite easel is in the Kit right now not a French one more sturdy, I love it.
Michelle I've a paint box like you do LOL and would love that drawer system for tools like Mike has for all my paints etc.
and I'm messier than you Maureen....I like the look of your easel, haven't seen one like that before.
I'll take a pic of my kit stuff if I get a chance...I've got to get my screens off the windows, the strata is washing windows today....be back later

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 06-02-2015 at 12:36 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Here is mine:

I actually have water, which is great, but no window.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 AM
London and Wales

Hails from Wales

This is such a fascinating thread and so good to see how others work. I'm away from home at the moment, so will have to post my workspace another time, but whenever I'm away I always bring my pochade box. I thought I could share that with you instead! (how do you pronounce pochade anyway?!)

A couple of Christmases ago, my dad bought me a painting set that came in this strong wooden box.

I used some of my left over floor trim and some wood glue to create a bracket on the back to stop the box opening too far. This means the lid rests on the bracket so I can use the inside like an easel.

I added more floor trim to the inside to create compartments for my paints, brushes and pencils, and a little bit in the lid to hold the canvas.

I then carved a small channel in the wood to allow an a4 piece of glass to fit on top of the compartments, which also keeps all the bits in place when the box is closed and being transported!

(yes, that is the baby's hand trying to take a tube of paint!)

Will post my cluttered desk another time, when I'm back home!

Last edited by Mrs B : 06-02-2015 at 09:41 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Pennsylvania, USA

^ Love this. May I copy your idea to make a similar box of my own?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 AM
London and Wales

Hails from Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_sky
^ Love this. May I copy your idea to make a similar box of my own?

Thank you, and please feel free!! It's a bit rough and ready, but it does the job. The box is from Windsor and Newton. The piece of a4 glass I use as a pallet was from a cheap picture frame - just make sure the edges and are rounded off

Last edited by Mrs B : 06-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Pennsylvania, USA

Great! Thanks, Gemma!
I have on hand all the items necessary to build a similar box and it is now on my weekend "To Do" list.
Cheers!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B

(yes, that is the baby's hand trying to take a tube of paint!)

Starting 'em young, eh?

What a marvelous idea - using the quarter round concave molding for a lid stop and as combination dividers/palette supports. Bravo Zulu (Navy talk for Well Done!)