WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Lewes, Delaware

Hails from United States
5x 7 sandcrab

A neighbor took a picture of a sandcrab so I tried to render it in pastels. This is mostly pans on yellow pastelmat.

C&Cs always welcome.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 05:33 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: 5x 7 sandcrab

Clever! The warm colors contrast nicely with touch of blue.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh very nice! I love the blue accents, the shading on the crab's back, the bright contrast of those black eyes. Very cheerful crab! The warm background and the crab's lighter limbs harmonize well. Good highlights and definition on all those legs. Well done!

The only suggestion I'd make is possibly to harden some edges on the crab's shell, either with a stick or by using the hard edge of a sponge tool - the wedge sponge for example, cut in close to the edge you want hard and pull outward using background color. To define hard edges or make a thin line across a joint, tap the end of a wedge sponge into color and then tap the line straight down where you want it. This may take a little practice but mistakes can easily be erased on Pastelmat.

For speed, pastel sticks or hard pastel or pastel pencil along the edge of the back at its rear, around the big claws, and with a mid value neutral where the two sides of the big claw are separated (a mid value gray-brown would be good, like umber and its tint or a mid gray) would help give that impression of stiff armor. Some of the soft edges can stay. You don't need to detail serrations or anything. But that line of the top and bottom pincer on the big claw is the main thing, a thin line in gray or grayish brown but not distracting black to compete with the eyes.

I love the white highlights on those shiny eyes! Really great!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Just saw the reference again and yeah, you'd need a second reference for the claw joint even the big claw. That completely washed out. Hope you find one, without it this is still lovely!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Immortalized

Lovely painting, with good colors and composition, but I agree with Robert that it needs some hard edges.